Friday, August 03, 2007

The goldfish effect

Thanks to everyone for your comments, much appreciated. Thanks also to TD and FPT for your comments on bone scans. I am getting a wee bit concerned about my hip now. 4 weeks without running (5 weeks on Tuesday) & it still hurts to walk most of the time. I will see how it goes over the next 1-2 weeks but if there is no improvement, I'll be looking into the bone scan.

An update in brief - I've been swimming (3.75k this week) and done a lil bit of riding. If you want the extended version, read on -

Saturday 28/7 (Happy birthday Dad!)
30mins ride to test the hip. Good news is that Apollo doesn't seem to aggravate it so I'll be spending lots of time on him for the next little while. Stayed up to watch the TT at the TdF. Probably the best night of racing I've ever seen. Despite the drug controversy, I still think the TdF is the greatest sporting event in the world. And to top it off, we now have a rider who will one day end the race in yellow :-)

Sunday 29/7
After a sleep-in and a relaxing morning reading the papers, I went to the gym for the eccentric leg press/hammy curl followed by a 1k swim and then home for the balance of my glute/core exercises.

Monday 30/7
I had planned to get up and do a session on Apollo before work but the prospect of staying in bed proved far more enticing.

I don't think my arse has ever been more sore than it was today after using the 'unusual' leg press machine at the gym yesterday. Headed back to the physio at lunch and left with instructions to continue with the same program for the next 10 days. I ran for a whole 4mins on the treadmill. There was still a noticeable niggle in my hip but it had improved from last week.

Tuesday 31/7
40mins on the bike followed by glute exercises before work. My hip became very painful in the afternoon.

Wednesday 1/8
Back to the gym after work tonight for eccentric leg press/hammy curl followed by 1.25k swim and then home to finish off the glute/core exercises. Yawn. I'm like a bloody goldfish when I get in the pool. My mind drifts off and I can never remember just how many laps I've done. I could have done 2k for all I knew...

Thursday 2/8
After 5mins on the bike in the gym last night, I've quickly discovered that the setup of the bike has an immediate & noticeable impact on my hip. Fortunately it seems to like Apollo so I was back on him this morning. All of my sessions recently have been steady state rides in an effort to ease the pressure on my hip. So today I tried an easyish interval session to test it out.

5mins w/u
5mins - 30/30s
3 x 5mins efforts w/ 1.30 recovery
5mins - 30/30s
5mins c/d
Total: 39.30mins

I didn't push the intervals too hard - my only goal for this session was to test out the hip & thankfully it went well.

Friday 3/8
Back to the gym after work for eccentric leg press & hammy curl followed by a scenic 1.5k swim and then home to finish off my glute/core exercises.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I've got an LSDR for 50min on Apollo planned before heading down the south coast for a relaxing weekend with R.

Interestingly I feel much more philosophical about my injury than I was when eg I had my ITB problem 18 months ago. Perhaps that comes from so much experience with injury. Yes, I am frustrated but hey, the world won't end tomorrow because I can't run, nor will I wake up fat tomorrow cause I haven't run for 4 weeks. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing & eventually I'll get there. Besides, my thoughts recently haven't been so much on a return to running but building a strong & function body for a few other adventures I have in mind...

MTDS: 2.75k

8 comments:

Ellie80 said...

hehe - i feel your pain! (possibly literally!).

enjoy your weekend lovely - bad timing cause I was actually thinking about heading to the 'riff tomorrow cause I have a cousin playing netball out there!

x

TD said...

Your views on injury more or less coincide with mine. In the early days, coming down with injury was cause to consider a straight jacket. Like you, these days I take things much more in my stride. Ain't the end of the world.

And I think you are right about our Aussie TdF rider. I will be surprised if he doesn't win it one day too.

Horrie said...

Nice to hear you talking so positively about the time away from running due to injury. Things could always be a lot worse. At least you can still ride and swim.

Ewen said...

I agree one becomes philosophical about injuries. Apollo seems to be enjoying the extra company ;)

Have a good weekend Jen. Fingers crossed the injury might think it's had enough one day and go elsewhere.

Zodelicious said...

Hi Jen
Sorry to hear about your hip, but it sounds like you have plenty to keep you positive and motivated. Have you ever done the Sydney to the Gong ride? Sunday 4th of November. :)

Tesso said...

Just catching up on blogs after being out of (internet) action for a couple of weeks. I was hoping to read good news on yours, but thinking about it I guess it sort of is as you are at least swimming and riding. But best of all you have such a great attitude.

I'm starting to think that if we didn't blog about them our injuries would seem less frequent, mine sure did!

Hopefully catch up soon as I'm in your neck of the woods for a little while.

CJ said...

Good to hear that you're in a positive frame of mind. I've been meaning to get on my bike and also go for a swim during my break, but it isn't happening!
Looking forward to noosa - will be nice to spend a(nother) week in the sun!

Unknown said...

Spring is almost here, Jen & with it I hope there will be a big improvement -as in no pain! - in your hip. Chin up till then...I know you will!