Monday, January 12, 2009

I'm baaaack !

I arrived back in Sydney last Thursday after 3 months o/s. I had the most amazing time. If you haven't been following my travels on my other blog, in brief I've:

- climbed Mera Peak (6460m)

(Everest is the large peak to my left)

and Island Peak (6189m)

in Nepal;

- ice climbed for the first time (and loved it!)

- spent 3 weeks travelling through Egypt


and Jordan


- seen the Red Sea (I was too sick to go in), snorkled in the Indian Ocean and floated in the Dead Sea


- climbed Mt Meru (4556m)


and Kilimanjaro (5895m)

in Tanzania,

- been on safari in Africa,

- experienced my first white Christmas, my first hockey game (that's ice hockey for those who don't speak Canadian) and experienced what -47 degrees feels like,


- gained 5kg in weight (yikes!),

amongst many other things.

The fun isn't over yet. In just over 2 weeks, I fly out again to Argentina to climb Aconcagua; at 6,962m it is the highest mountain in the world outside the Himalayas. I am really nervous about this one. It will be, by far, the hardest thing I've attempted; not only due to the altitude but that it is a full expedition meaning that I have to carry loads of around 20kg-25kg which is hard at the best of times, never mind doing so at altitude.....

Unfortunately my training between treks was almost non-existant due to 2 colds/chest infections, one which required 2 courses of anti-biotics to kick so I am feeling decidedly underdone. But with only 2 & a bit weeks left, it's time to do some finetuning physically and (perhaps most importantly) mentally. Since arriving back on Thursday, I've been easing back into the training -

Fri: 2 hours hike at Glenbrook w/13.5kg pack (9.27km)

Sat: 45mins weights session (full body) + 45mins stepper interval session. Very tough session!

Sun: rest

Mon: 3.12 ride on M7 with TA - 67.45km - av.21k/h. My first time on the bike in almost 4 months! Was great to catch up with you, TA. Thanks!

After Aconcagua, my 2 main priorities are losing the 5kg I put on while I was o/s (*she blushes*) and to rehab my ankle & get running again. I haven't run since I stuffed my ankle back in September. It is ok (but not great) for the purposes of my hiking/trekking but it is far from 100%. But I'm not thinking about that right now. It's time to get my head & body ready for the next - and freaking high -adventure :-)

8 comments:

Hamburglar said...

You are the queen of inspiration - you go get em!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Jen. You've clocked up a few Kms of late. How's your carbon footprint I wonder ? After Argentina, you'll need to go and live in a teepee in the forest and live off nuts & berries to make up for it. ;-)

Eagle said...

Yes been following your wonderful trip to some of the most intersting places in the world. I have done some but when I was in Nepal I did little climbing because of time. I was impatient to get moving and traveloverland to London. I should have stayed longer.

Enjoy the rest of the adventure.

Cirque said...

Welcome back Jen_climbs. I'm glad you had a fantastic time!

Anonymous said...

That is unbelievable Jen you must feel so good about accomplishing those great feats, you are very privilaged to have the motivation, dedication and opportunities to see those parts of the world. Well done and good luck in Argentina

Shane said...

Sorry the previous comment was from me, using another computer :-)

Ewen said...

Welcome (briefly) back!

That's some climbing you've been doing. Did you see 'The Beckoning Silence' last night? Take care on Aconcagua.

miners said...

great to see that fabulous photos at last!! I'd been following via PG, and not by the true blog it seems!