A strange week. The start of the week was relatively quiet; the second half absolutely feral with work. I also took custody of another 2 Spinervals DVDs as I contemplated last week. I needed a couple of good aerobic, 'long ride equivalent' DVDs given the effect that La Nina is having (and will probably continue to have) on the weather at the moment.
Tue: rest
Wed: 60mins pilates w/Carly including a few acupuncture needles in my hip to settle down some tightness. I haven't mentioned it previously but the needles are part of my management plan. I get a couple in my hip every second week at the moment. And provided I don't go too crazy with the running, they seem to be the best / quickest way to settle any tightness I get.
Thu: 70mins on the windtrainer in the garage (28.5km) at stoopid o'clock doing my own thing while I watched R torture himself doing another Spinervals intervals DVD. And then at lunch a 2km swim in the pool at work
Fri: rest
Sat: with the race being at 4pm meant that I could have a much needed sleep-in after a rough week at work. Of course the downside is that you spend the day watching the clock & (seemingly) counting down the minutes until the race.
I could go into all the details suffice to say that I was happy with my swim (5:02),

reasonably happy with my bike though perhaps I went a bit too hard on the first lap because I had forgotten (!) that I had to run afterwards (23:26 official time incl T1 & T2/20:20 bike computer) & the run (14:52) was a case of survival. I couldn't get my heart rate down when I got off the bike so I probably walked more than I ran in the first 1.25km. But thankfully in the 2nd half another competitor & I worked together to run to a certain point, take a quick walk break before running again. I have no doubt that I ran further thanks to him than I otherwise would have. Still I was very disappointed with my run. 6min/km pace average is a good result given how little I run so I should be happy. Of course I'm not - no surprises there ;-)
It was nice to have so much encouragement out on the course; hopefully no one saw me walking :0
I did get very down when I got home, checked my results to discover that Mini Mango, who spends a grand total of 2 hr every month on her bike, had a faster bike split than me. Farkkkk. I know I shouldn't compare myself to someone 20 yrs younger & far more genetically gifted
than me. But I do.
So official time was 43:21 & 26th/68 in my category (20-30 women). Looking to my last race in March 2008 - also an enticer - made for an interesting comparison (bearing in mind a slightly different course with timing taken in different places)
2008
Swim: 6:23 (1:21 improvement since then!)
Bike: 21:22 (over 2mins slower. What. The. Farkkk)
Run: 14:12 (only 40sec slower - pleasantly surprising)
And yes, I know I am too hard on myself...
Sun: rest - if you can call spending the day on your feet in the hot weather cheering on your friends & family ;-) My hip pulled up fine. Though how much of that was due to the (precautionary) voltarin & red wine chaser (or alternatively the celebratory triple choc muffin
w/ ice cream) I'm not too sure :-)
Getting very nervous about Alpine Classic now....
MTD:
Swim: 5.6km
Bike: 113.6km
Run:: 2.5km :-)
4 comments:
You are back in the game. That is all that matters well done.
Ok, Ms FHG. Explain just how 26th out of 68 manages to be disappointing? If my maths isn't too wonky (and rounding up or down as the whim strikes), that'd be pretty similar to... umm... say.. 2nd out of 7 maybe? :-)
You did so well on the day Jen. You should feel so proud of yourself. I am proud of you :)
Spend less time on the bike... mini Mango style ;) The power of youth is wasted on the young! Not too bad a run split considering your lack of run training.
Don't know how you can last that long without racing. I love racing.
Post a Comment