Sunday, April 03, 2011

There was movement at the station...

Finally some training. Not much but enough to make me happy - of course after 2.5 weeks without any training something, anything is better! On Monday after work, I headed to the gym (yippee!) for my physio-ordered exercises & a short strength session (yippee!). It's official - I'm a gym junkie. I lurve my weight sessions!

I had planned to run on Tuesday morning but it became a rest day when I ended up with morning taxi duties so that R could get his long run done. He owes me one ;-)

I finally headed out on Wednesday morning for that long awaited walk/shuffle (aka run). Huski, 2.5 weeks ago was the last time I ran. Apart from the occasional attempt to cough up a lung when my breathing was a tad laboured, I was surprised at how good I felt during the run. 25mins in total. And, most importantly, my hip was fine on Thursday morning :-))

Speaking of which, on Thursday morning I met Sue at Parramatta Park for what is becoming our regular walk & catch-up. I think we have both missed our weekend long rides so it's nice to be able to catch up on an (almost) weekly basis while she recuperates from her crash. 2 laps of the park (6.05km) in 65mins whilst the rain held off was a lovely start to the day & a nice way to start to get my walking legs in order....;-)

Friday included a visit to the city to see the physio but otherwise another rest day. Saturday morning saw me learn a secret handshake as part of my introduction to the kettlebell society :-) I stayed with Mr & Mrs K on Friday night in Bronte so I could join them, and Miss E, for their usual kettlebell session on Saturday morning. I've only used KBs previously as a substitute for a dumbbell on occasion. I was also looking forward to learning from Mike, the physio who takes the session, as his philosophy and approach to training is very similar to mine.

In all, it was a fun, and fascinating, hour. Not much of a workout for me as I was restricted to learning the basic skills - fair enough; I would do the same with my clients. But I have to say that I am probably a better trainer for the experience. I'm looking forward to doing more sessions down there in the future.

And today (Sunday) I finally dusted my bike off and went for a ride. Given that it has been 3 weeks since my last ride, I settled for a short 81mins ride along the Castlereagh Road including 3 x 5mins to retain, or gain, some semblance of speed in my legs. I tried to cough up my lungs once or twice but otherwise it felt great to be riding again. On the way home from my ride, I dropped in briefly to the Regatta Centre where the Club was holding a race. As it turned out I was just in time to see Mini Mango finish. Unfortunately I couldn't stay for long as I had a family commitment to get to. 81mins. 31.69k/h

Looking forward to even more training this week - which would be good when you compare it to my totals for March :-0
Swim - 0.3km
Bike - 79.07km
Walk - 4.5kms!

Probably my lowest totals since I got back from my travels in March 2009!

MTD
Bike - 31.69km
Walk - 6.06km

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Movement is good. If it's not recorded it didn't happen. By the way, I know a good PT business if you need some motivation ;)