Friday night after work I came out to my parent's place at Penriff for some R&R. Unfortunately I still wasn't feeling very rested on Saturday - I felt exhausted; I even had a nana nap - and I never nap. My right hip flexor was also niggling while walking around the house on Saturday so I was rather nervous about how it would go today. I shouldn't have been.
I left the house for the short drive up to Glenbrook to meet O Runner & CR lurker Wazza for the drive to Woodford. On arriving at Woodford station, we headed up to the Rural Fire Station headquarters to pick up our numbers. Lesson for the day - always keep a stash of safety pins in your bag just in case. They had run out by the time we arrived (just under an hour before the start). I had one safety pin before Wazza came to the rescue with a second. The next hour was spent chatting & catching up with friends. I was really nervous in the week leading up to this race but (as always) I woke up pretty calm & relaxed this morning.
This was a really big day for me:
*longest run in time (50mins) & distance(by 8kms)
* longest race (by 10kms) and
* even my first Half marathon!
Once we were off, my secret weapon Horrie & I let the greyhounds take off and slowly settled into our pace; walking some of the earlier short/sharp hills before settling into a good rhythm once the road flattened out around the 12kms mark. I had (previously) decided to ride the course next year but after seeing the appropriately named "Suicide Hill", let's just say that I'm re-thinking that plan.
I really enjoyed everything about the run - the course, the scenery & the company. People who don't run trails have no idea on what they are missing out on. The kms slowly ticked by & suddenly we were passing through the 21km mark - my first Half marathon! The last 4km however were really tough - I was getting v tired but with Horrie's company, I was able to maintain our pace all the way to the finish.
As we rounded the last corner before the finish, I heard a loud shout only to look up to find Go Girl & Go Baby cheering for me & a few metres further on, my sister-in-law-to-be. I looked up towards the finish & there were my parents & brother with "Go Jen" signs cheering loudly. Their attendance at the finish was supposed to be a "surprise" for me. However I had lunch with Mum on Thursday when she was asking all sorts of questions about the race, rather indiscreetly. It was pretty easy to work out what the plan was ;-)
I of course forgot to stop my watch at the finish but the results are out already - 2:44:07. Happy days! I really had no expectations about today other than to finish in one piece (which I did).
Got home not long after 3 after dropping Gnome, O Runner, Uncle Dave & Papa back to Woodford - & picking their brains about a few upcoming events
;-)
Thanks to Horrie for his company today - I can't begin to describe how much it meant to me. And to Twopennys & Go Girl whose immense faith in me more than made up for my own lack of it :-)
I am one tired & happy gal tonight. I still can't believe that I've done it. I'm sure I know that I have when I try & roll out of bed in the morning, LOL!
The week ahead - well that will largely depend on how well I feel when I roll out of bed in the morning but let's just say it will be pretty cruisy (so far as training is concerned). Work is crazy - there will be lots of late nights & early mornings this week; Mr Jen_runs is back from his trip to Germany on Tuesday morning (*yippee) and then I fly up to Brisbane on Friday afternoon for the GCM weekend. Woohoo :-)
14 comments:
Well done Jen!!
What a great return, from the depths of the battle with TPC, you've got lots more planned on your plate but soak up the moment for a little while first :)
fantastic!
A really, REALLY big race Jen. I'm so proud of you and wish I could have gotten my ugly mug in your race photo as another PGer seems to have done. Wish I could have been there for you FHG :)
Well done Jen, what a great non-surprise from your parents as well.
See you at the weekend! :)
Awesome run! How exciting having everyone 'surprise' you at the end.
The last 4km however were really tough - I was getting v tired but with Horrie's company,
The first time I read this sentence I completely missed the word "but".
Jen!! I am so incredibly impressed and inspired - what a run! Especially as you haven't had an easy run up to the event (the phrase 'my calves feel like concrete' comes to mind!!
What a champion :)
congrats, great run!
Fantastic trail debut Jen, I'm delighted for you. Look forward to seeing out there more often.
Enjoy your recovery..
Fantastic run Jen. You ran an amazing race and never missed a beat. Now wonder you were hurting in the end as you managed to get faster the longer the run went. Don't worry, I didn't see the helipad either!;-)
That is so cool Jen. Glad to hear you had such a great run and enjoyed the day so much. Congratulations :)
congrats Jen!!!!
Great run Jen. Longest ever. Glad you let Horrie keep up with you. Soon you will be doing 25ks in training. Great to have your injury worries mostly over. Maybe we might meet at a run this year. Yeehah!
Hehe - I'm with Superflake - soon you will be doing 25's in training!! ;-)
Fantastic job matey W2B here we come :-)
Post a Comment