*world's longest race report warning*
You have been warned.
I'll leave out all the pre & post race festivities & frivolities - this is going to be long enough without going into it all - suffice to say that I had a wonderful, fun & laughter filled weekend with a group of people who I have only met in the last year or two but who have come to mean the world to me.
Firstly thank you to everyone for your concerns. So many people came up to me after the race & said 'Jen I was really worried about you'. Thank you also for not sharing your concerns with me before the race!
Even the coach called my training for this event a 'dog's breakfast'. My longest run had been the Black Stump run (33k) on NYD. An injury started to creep in towards the end of January so that my last run over 20k was at the end of January. In fact, since then I think I had only run further than 10k no more than 3 times. I wasn't even sure I would start until about 10 days before the run. At least being 'overtrained' wasn't an issue ;-)
With that limited preparation in mind, I knew that I had to run it with my head. I had a conservative plan which I had to stick to in order to even give myself a chance of finishing. The plan was based on getting to Pluvio at 6:45 pace - 64mins to Megalong Road, 2 hours (cumulative) to Cox, 4 hours (cumulative) to Pluvio - and then hanging on. Looking at my splits after the race, I was actually behind them the whole way for one reason or another. I had eg allowed 22min to get to the Nellies Glen sign - in fact, at the back of Wave 4 it took 25:45! A few people have asked if I felt stressed or uncomfortable about being that close to the cut-off. In all honesty, I didn't think or worry about the cut-offs at all during the race. I knew what I had to do (my splits & aver pace for each section & the parts of the Track that were likely to throw out my averages) and simply focused on that. From the time I got the Nellies Glen sign for the rest of the race, I told myself that I had gone out more conservatively than planned so I would (I hoped) have a tad more energy coming home. Overriding all that, I knew that my attitude was crucial & that I had to stay strong mentally - amongst other things, I made sure I had fun by running into aid stations yelling "876 reporting for duty" or "876 checking in". You had to be there.
Anyway on with the race -
Saturday morning, I was woken by an SMS before the alarm went off. I felt strangely calm & centred all morning - I don't think I could believe that I was actually running! The only time I got a bit nervous was when Owly, in the car on the way to Catalina Park, started talking about how nervous she was about next years race!
After watching waves 1 - 3 start & jumping in at the front of the pack for the obligatory photo under the 'start' banner, I headed to the back of the pack. I had run the first section to Megalong Rd in training & had stuffed it up by going too quickly. I was not going to make that mistake again. I had Ewen's company for the first 3k or so. We got to the Nellies Glen sign in 25:25 - almost 4mins slower than planned. My mantra for the run down to Cox was 'effortless'. It was hard to resist the temptation to chase everyone who took off when we hit the fire trail but I did ("effortless Jen effortless") & settled into my own race. Good thing I did too because although I passed (literally only) 1 or 2 people, I ran by myself - with no one else in sight, ahead or behind - until the final aid station before Pluvio. I felt really comfortable out there on my lonesome.
Arrived at Megalong Road in 67:20 (3:20 outside schedule) and then set off towards Cox. I really enjoyed the run down to Cox - I love the downhill technical stuff. I remember thinking to myself what a blessing it was to be able to run this section by myself. Not because I avoided getting held up in a conga-line of runners but because it was quiet, peaceful & I could run my race.
I'm not sure what happened during this section - whether I was being too conservative or I switched off mentally but I arrived at Cox in 2:09:40 (9:40 behind schedule) - & and made what one of the firies said was one of the most delicate crossings.
I've never run with wet shoes before which made me a little nervous so I coated my feet in Bodyglide which worked - no blisters at all! I knew that I was pretty close to the cut-off but it didn't bother me as walking up hills is one of my strengths. So off I went humming 'she'll be walking up the mountain when she comes'. Owly & Cirque will understand ;-)
I won't deny that I wasn't unhappy to see the top of Mini Mini - that last section is a kicker - & then it was down down down to Alum River. Gosh it was wonderful to run again - at least until I almost ran over the top of something dead (I think it was the calf that 2P had previously mentioned). Ick. Oh the joys of trail running!
Arrived at the aid station with the sprinkler (Big River?), called out "876 checking in" & heard someone call out my name. And there was Go Girl sitting under a blanket. I had to do a double take. I couldn't believe it. Go Girl was (with 2P) instrumental in getting me to the start line - she & I had agreed to make Six Foot 2007 our goal way back in December 2005 when I was still 3mths away from running again thanks to my ITB problem. I walked over towards her (as she, with her wonderful grace & poise, told me that she was ok, not to worry about her & to keep running), stopped for a quick chat, gave her a cuddle & then turned back towards the road, vowing to finish the race for both of us. I pulled myself together & started running again. 30sec later Garmin Elektra flashed a 'low battery' warning. "Farkkkk. Deep breathe Jen. Remember cool, calm, collected, centred. It's ok. You can do this. Listen to your body & read the course. You don't need Elektra to do this'. Despite my lil pep talk, I was mighty relieved when Elektra stopped flashing at me & regained signal.
The climb to Pluvio was non-eventful - just one stop to take a rock out of my shoe. Ken Smith (CR Lastish) caught me at the last aid station before Pluvio. And then 500m before Pluvio, Cam Arnold - the 7 hour sweeper - caught us. I knew that he was ahead of schedule so I wasn't bothered. After a quick chat, I discovered that he was running an even pace for the whole race, whereas my plan was based on a 30/30/40 breakdown so I had some time up my sleeve.
We arrived at Pluvio at 4:07:55 (7:55 outside schedule). I suddenly realised that there had been no complaints from my piriformis or ITB which had caused me so much trouble over the last month - woohoo! In fact there had been no complaints at all - my body was feeling tired but good & I was still having fun.
After a cup of coke, I set out to run/walk my way along Black Range Road. I was actually surprised at how much of Black Range Road I was able to run. I kept repeating to myself "choose your walk breaks prudently - always look for the possibilities - no double digit splits". I started to pick people off along Black Range - that sounds terrible because I know they were hurting but I'd spot someone ahead & slowly but surely reel them in. Actually, I wasn't passed from the time I hit Black Range Rd until the other side of the Binda Cabins. Black Range came & went quickly - in fact, I missed the sign to the Moorara Boss Fire Trail completely & only saw the sign for the Mount Warlock Fire Trail when I stopped for a drink at the aid station.
I arrived at Deviation (woohoo) with 10.6k to go & stopped for a toilet break. By this stage, I was breaking everything down - only focusing on the next 3.2k until Caves Road crossing. And what a 3.2k they were. I almost lost a shoe in what turned out to be a tiny yet deep mud puddle. And that second hill! OMG. I arrived at the bottom, looked up & said (loudly) "you've got to farking kidding me" - the only time I let myself slip mentally during the race. There were 2 people walking up it at the time - a woman was actually trying to walk up it backwards! Although I was tired, fortunately I wasn't struggling as much as she was so I put my head down & walked strongly. One of the two people kindly told me as I passed half way I had just done the toughest part of the course between there & the finish. Good news indeed!
Woohoo - Caves Road crossing! Only 8k to go. About this time my left ITB (my good ITB!) started to bite. But I just ignored it - my leg would have had to fall off to stop me from finishing. And even then, I would have crawled the whole damn way. Those last 4.4k from the Binda Cabins aid station were the longest 4.4k of my life but I knew that I would soon hear the announcer.
Just before the left turn off the fire trail & onto the pathway, I heard Sparkie's voice. I knew there would be some of the cheer squad with him so I yelled out something about Sparkie having a loud voice. Turn left & there is Sparkie & Owly (with pom poms of course). Owly had been sitting. She stands up in excitement & falls over onto the track. For a moment I think that I'm going to have to hurdle over her 'cause there is no way I'm stopping now (sorry Owly) but fortunately for both of us she's on her feet quickly. I pass them & realise that both Sparkie & Owly are now running behind me. Sparkie sneaks past at some stage & takes off - meanwhile Owly is singing "she'll be running down the mountain when she comes" before going onto tell me about Fats' remarkable race. I sneak a peek over my left shoulder at Caves House - OMG! Then there is the sight - and noise - of the cheer squad at the bottom of the stairs. Incredible. I get goosebumps thinking about it even now.
Down the steps without falling & into the finish chute where I spot Spud hanging over the barricade, grinning madly. And then to finish off my race perfectly, I see Ellie standing there ready to give me my medal (and receive a very sweaty & teary hug - sorry!). I discover my dad is standing behind the barricade next to her - another sweaty & teary hug.
So I finished my first Six Foot Track in 6:50:06. One of my biggest battles with running has always been the (mental) limitations that I have placed on myself. So one of the things that excites me most about this run is not only that it came off the back of a rather limited preparation, but that it has opened my eyes as to what I might be capable of with a full and uninterrupted training program.
Apart from my left ITB getting cross with me over the last 5k, physically I had a great race - my piriformis & right ITB which caused me so much grief through January & February were fine. No blisters, no falls & no cramps either. I didn't actually take in much during the race - 4 GUs, about 400mls Powerade, 2 cups of coke, 2 pieces of watermelon & loads of water. I did feel a bit queasy through the Deviation section though I actually think it was because I couldn't get that sickly sweet taste out of my mouth. Ick.
A few thank yous just in case anyone is still reading this - Spud who first put the idea in my head. Horrie & Belinda for your incredible faith & confidence in me. The PG - I can't begin to describe how much you all mean to me. Go Girl - such grace, strength & support. 2P for teaching me (amongst many other things) that I can because I can accept it if I don't.
I've recovered pretty well from this crazy adventure. My left ITB doesn't like walking down stairs right now but other than some DOMS & my cold making a bit of a resurgence, that's it :-)
My next big adventure is my trip to Nepal which is in a months time so my focus until then is recovering from Six Foot and possibly running the 10k at Canberra. I haven't decided yet on a longer term goal but I've got a few ideas.....
Edit: photos updated
29 comments:
That was an amazing and inspiring report Jen. I loved reading about your adventures and fantastic achievement! Again, loads of congratulations. I am in awe! Now enjoy a well-earned rest!
Woo hoo, I get to be first comment - what an honour! :) A great long report, worthy of a great long race. Loved it.
Oh strewth, someone beat me to it. :)
I can honestly say mate - I wasn't amongst the group who were concerned for you - I knew you could do it and you did.
Well done Jen - you adjusted where necessary and executed the plan perfectly ;-)
magic
Every report I read is a bit more knowledge in the bank - your report was a *lot* more knowledge :-) I love the first photo; says it all really, and there's nothing better than sweaty hugs at the end of something like that :-)
Here's to the next challenge (beyond standing up out of your chair!)
Gnome
Nice report Jen and well done again.
What news of GG ? Not posting on CR, not blogging. Hope she's OK.
It was brilliant to see you come down those stairs! Can't wait to see you do it again :)
What a wonderful report Jen. It really captures so much of the emotion of the day.
Your run will inspire so many people to seriously consider about this race, people who otherwise would think its not possible for them. And if they follow your race plan they can't fail.
I can't wait to hear what your long term goals, though I could hazard a guess at a couple of them :)
Great work Jen :)
Lots of those different motivation quotes spring to mind but to paraphrase.....
The only thing worse than failing to achieve your dream is not even attemping to achieve it!
Kudos to you, the majority would have bowed to the hurdles along the way you have faced.
Sensational report..
The sky's the limit Jen.
Proud of ya!
An adventure well embraced Jen.
JD
There is a few good photos in that report that is for sure.
I am amazed at the planning and determination that you put into the race...totally made up for the "average" preparation.
To run mostly by yourself must have been good as well as lonely at the same time.
I will look forward to seeing what you can do next year!
Brilliant report Jen...great to read all the detail about your big adventure :)
Love the report Jen. Glad you finally got to the start line with your limited training schedule. Excellent how you arranged your time and didn't panic when you were behind the time during the race.
Excellent report Jen. Should be compulsory reading for 'underdone' virgins.
Must admit I thought your pace might have been a bit slow on the firetrail, but you judged it to perfection.
Great photos - you make 6' look fun!
Great report Jen and an amazing achievement. It goes to show that the mind is what makes or break us runners and this is a perfect example. With limited training you have just completed one of the toughest races there is to do. Well done wonderful effort :-)
Wow Jen, you are amazing girl!! A huge congrats on your awesome effort, your brilliant report even made me think about taking up the 2008 challenge! :)
Mouse
Jen,
It's Belinda.
Those photo's have brought tears to
my eyes. Congratulations, im so happy for you what an awsome achievement.I want that photo of you finishing,to motivate myself.
Carnt wait to hear what's next on the agenda.
I ticked this report to read when I had time and peace to enjoy it. I ahve just finished and it is great. Seems like on the race day your good walking experince was one of the major factors to your success. It kept you moveing, protected your body and agve you confidence.
Still to close to the cut off for my liking.
Well done Jenny.
cheers PLu
You should be soooo proud, Dude! Unreal effort!
Hi, have just read your fantastic report after reading some other reports of this race.
A really inspiring effort. Those photos capture your excitement so well.
i'm in the 2p camp of people who never doubted :) and don't be sorry for the hug - it was the highlight of the weekend. bigger and better things ahead i have no doubt :)
Great report Jen.
I was surprised you even got out of bed on race day :-/\
The accommodation was appalling. No breakfast in bed. A shocker.
Wow- great report and great photos! I hope you bought some!
You are SO ready for an Xterra after that! (Pick away...!)
So glad your body didn't give you any troubles along the way!
Jen THIS IS A GREAT REPORT!
You made a menthal marathon despite the lack of training, it is amazing what you just achieved!
Your report arrives to me just in the time to decide if I continue with the marathon thing or not.
You are making me think about it over and over now.
You never know what is about to happen. Sometimes when I'm running lately this days I'm waiting for a miracle to happen. From now I will trust this is possible.
Thanks for coming back to my place, I'll write a post as soon as I can.
I'm thinking of you too.
CONGRATULATIONS JEN!!!! The pictures say it all! Nice job!
Jen, love the pictures. Was glad to be part of the cheer squad.
Hope the recovery is going well, would love to hear whether you've contracted post 6ft syndrome that a lot are experiencing.
Post a Comment