
L-R: Ellie, Go Girl, me, 2P, Owly & Lulu
Thankyou to everyone for your comments & congratulations - I truly appreciate it :-)
A few people have recently asked who my never-before-referred-to-by-name coach is. He's probably going to kick my arse for embarrassing him but I don't care :-) 2P has, for the last 15 months, counselled, encouraged, supported, advised, cajoled & bribed me & (when necessary) kicked my arse in an effort to get me to the starting line of Six Foot 2007. He has always believed in me, even when I didn't believe in myself. Isaac Newton said it better than I can - "If I have seen further than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." :-)
Enough of the mushy stuff - Becky O asked about whether I'd suffered from PSFS (Post Six Foot Syndrome). I did. Between the race itself, my holiday & a variety of other 'stuff', I hadn't given any thought to 'what next'. I have added to the very long list of lessons I've learned from this experience to always look at each event not as a destination (which is what I did for Six Foot) but as just another step in the journey. I have today finally removed the Six Foot course profile from the wall of my office & here at home & now have shifted my focus to my next big scary goal - 50k at Glasshouse in July :-) Yes, my approach to training & racing isn't particularly conventional but hey, I'm having fun !
My recovery from Six Foot has been somewhat passive. The DOMs (which wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected) had gone by Wednesday - my energy levels have been good - my left ITB however has been somewhat cranky. Oh well, I've enjoyed having an excuse to sleep in but now I'm really itching to get back into the training again. I went out for an easy 20mins last run - the ITB was certainly apparent but didn't worsen over the course of the run. It has however been a bit more grumpy with me than normal today. I also headed back into the gym this morning for an upper body weights session - it has been soooo long since I've done one that I'm tempted to put out a missing persons report on my biceps ;-)
My trip to Nepal is now less than 4 weeks away - yippee! But before then, I've got a few road trips planned. Firstly, I'm temporarily relocating to the eastern suburbs next week (thanks E!) - soooo looking forward to spending my mornings in Centennial Park with Lulu & Ellie. Then next weekend Ellie & I are off to Port Mac for the IM. Looking forward to cheering on Borat, sorry I mean Miners, in his second IM and my uncle in his 5th (& what he tells me will be his last) IM. 2 weeks later Go Girl & I are off to Canberra for the marathon weekend where I'm going to chase (and hopefully keep up with!) Lulu in the 10k on the Saturday afternoon before cheering on all my friends in the marathon on Sunday. I'm excited :-)

9 comments:
Funny you should mention the lesson learned. One thing I learned strongly from Canberra was to *never* let any race become such a total focus again.
Happily (and sadly, if that makes sense), it made it a lot easier to cope with missing 6ft, which was a far more significant goal than Canberra.
See you up at Port (and possibly down at Canberra, but that one's much more doubtful).
Gnome
We might see you up at Port, and will definitely see you at Canberra (NTR is in the full, I am in for 10km).
You will be fine with your PSFTS, you are a strong woman who already has another crazy goal!! The sky is the limit :-)
Mouse.
So fun to get your race stories from the other side of the world!
Your 10K in April is going to seem so Short and fast!
Wow, busy times ahead Jen.
So excited you are lining up for the 50k in July. Maybe you should drag your trusty coach up here with you :-)
Nah Tesso, Glasshouse is too flat and boring for 2P - no steps and rivers to deal with ;)
That's a top photo Jen. All the best with the GH training. See you at the 10k start in Canberra!
PSFS? Haven't had time!!!! Maybe it will happen after Canberra marathon! Looking forward to seeing you guys here in Canberra.
Consider it kicked ;-)
What only 50kms :)
Looking forward to seeing you this week.
50K - You like to bite off big ones, don't you Jen.
Looks like a whole lot of fun is going to be had before then.
Cheers,
Ben
Post a Comment