Friday, February 27, 2009

The long & winding road

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

I was surprised recently to find that my blog celebrated its 4th birthday earlier in the month while I was in Argentina. I have never before kept a diary so I struggle to believe that it's been going for so long!

I was reading back over some of the earlier posts recently. In some ways, I feel like I've made bugger all progress in the last 4 years. It sometimes feels like groundhog day. Let's face it, each year I have had a (major) injury that has resulted in me having at least one, and sometimes several, months off running. And then I start all over again - like I am at the moment.

But in other ways, I have come so very far from the person who wrote that initial post. There is no way I could have imagined the things I have done, the places I have been and the people I have met when I started this journey 4 years ago. From Six Foot to mountaineering to rock climbing to mountain biking and triathlons, I have done things that I could never have contemplated. But I think my 'mental' journey has been ever greater. I have learnt so much about myself; I have learnt to challenge my (many) preconceived limitations. I have learnt to say 'I can' rather than 'I can't' which has always been my impulse reaction. I have learnt to let go of my fears - of failing or of what others might think - and just go for something I want. I now truly understand and appreciate that the journey is far more important than the destination.

To quote the Beatles, it's been a long & winding road. And, as frustrating as it has sometimes been, I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

Cirque said...

And I have been extremely privileged to have been there in the background, watching you walk a very small part of that road ;)

undercover brother said...

wb jen!
reading your first post i think you have invented the c25k2ac: couch to 5km to aconcagua.

Samurai Running said...

"I have come so very far from the person who wrote that initial post. There is no way I could have imagined the things I have done, the places I have been and the people I have met when I started this journey"

That paragraph is something like I would like read at my funeral.

Great stuff Jen!

strewth said...

Wow Jen, awesome stuff. I just read your previous post too and those photos are fabulous. You certainly have achieved just so much and have every reason to be very proud. You are truly amazing! Can't wait to catch up.