Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lactic acid is my friend :-)

Getting a bit more consistency in my weeks now - yippee! Still missed a couple of sessions but I'm getting there - slowly.

Mon: 1km swim in about 24min (excl breaks). Interestingly, the improvement in the strength in my foot thanks to my running drills + physio-ordered exercises is very noticeable in the pool. Last week I could really feel the pressure of the water on my dodgy ankle when I was kicking. Not so much this week thankfully. The swim itself wasn't quite as ugly as last week's swim but there is still a long road ahead. Still, it's nice to be on it :-)

Tue: rest + running drills down in beautiful Brays Bay reserve by the water at Rhodes. Nice ;-)

Wed: strength + core session in the (free) gym at work :-)

Thu: rest. Was supposed to do my running drills again but was unable to escape from the office. I ran for the train though - surely that must count? ;-)

Fri: (superset) strength + core session

Sat: rest + running drills

Sun: 2:10 long ride. The plan had been to head along the Northern Road towards Camden but the road was closed at Bringelly due to an accident. So R & I decided to head out along Greendale Rd, which heads through Wallacia & then loops back onto the Northern Road. I was rather nervous about the degree of 'undulations' on this road, having heard about it from my (6 x IM) uncle. The undulations were testing but not nearly as testing as the dead road surface. I've never ridden on such a dead surface before. I thought my teeth were going to fall out at one stage from the vibrations.

On one particular sharp climb, I was reminded of a podcast about lactic acid that I listened to yesterday. It was talking about (new) research suggesting lactic acid is actually an alternate energy source & should be viewed by athletes as their friend, not foe. My quads are not yet convinced. Finished strongly with 48.96k (22.8k/h). This loop will be a great one to do regularly to test the improvements in my fitness & (particularly) strength.

Look forward to more consistency - and the awards night for Wild Endurance - in the coming week. BTW if anyone is handy in doing blog headers, would you mind leaving me a message or sending you an email. My blog needs an overall in light of my new focus... :-)

MTD:
Bike: 97.09k

RIP Jean

1 comment:

2P said...

Good thing you can pick your friends - sadly Lactic is a dodgy cousin of mine from my Mothers side of the family.

Nice work kiddo.