Sunday, October 18, 2009

One (baby) step closer...

Back into the training this week. It turned out to be an interesting (and exhausting) week which started with absolutely trashed legs after my prac day last Sunday for my Cert III course. 125+ squats in 4 mins doesn't make for happy legs...

Mon: 2.5km swim at squad which thankfully didn't involve too many kicking drills. Smashed myself to relieve some frustration / injury-related tears which made an appearance earlier in the evening.

Tue: 45min bike before work on the trainer. I'm supposed to do this session on the road but I haven't quite been able to get my act together enough to do that yet. Legs are still trashed from Sunday. 18.4k. AvC88. Av.HRR 126

Wed: legs are still recovering after Sunday (!) so today it was an upper body strength session in the gym before work, during which I realised that I haven't missed my weekly strength session now in 6 months. Yeah me.

Thur: after work, it was into the garage for a 55min bike session including single leg drills and 2 x 10min @ 80-85%HRR. Tough but good :-) 22.5k. AvC88. Av.141HR

Fri: I took the day off work to get some study done ahead of my Cert III prac assessment on Sunday. So after a much needed sleep-in & lots of study, I headed off to the pool about 2pm for a 1.9k swim. A great session which included an easy 400m and 600m. My 'easy' pace produced surprising times so I was pretty pleased. Afterwards I went out for my 5min 'funeral march' pace walk. More about that later.

Sat: dragged myself out of bed about 7.30am to head out along the Northern Road for the programmed 2hr easy ride (60-65%HR) (incl 10min @ race pace). Absolutely beautiful morning for a ride - a slight breeze otherwise clear & still. Thanks to my recent acquisition of a new HR monitor strap as my old one had died, I was finally able to do this ride as per the program; ie at 60-65% HR. Holy moly. That's slow. It's nice to know that I can ride at 25k/h+ otherwise I think this morning's ride would have been demoralising. As it was (I must admit) that I had a tendency to speed up if there were any other cyclists coming in the opposite direction because I didn't want anyone to see me riding so slowly (haha). Finished with 46.8k in 1.58.46 - av.23.64k/h - avC.85 - av.65%HRR (138) - and only one attempted magpie strike. I was riding too fast for him to catch me ;-)

Sun: rest and another prac day for my Cert III - including my practical assessment which I am happy to report I passed :-)

My physio visit on Friday was pretty promising. With the ultrasound, we are starting to see signs of neural activation of my TA and other small stabilizers that wasn't there a few months ago. I'm allowed out of my 'preggy' belt to walk for 5-10min per day at 'funeral march' pace to focus on my pelvic floor & stabilisers. Baby steps but at least they are steps I suppose...

MTD:
Swim - 8.5k
Bike - 209.5

1 comment:

undercover brother said...

good work with the lower abs!
baby steps are still steps.
well done with the cert III.