Monday, June 14, 2010

Alpe d'Hawkesbury

Very true Ewen - but here is something not-so-dull for you; today I did my first 100km ride :-)

R & I headed out today on a long ride on a new route (for me). Leaving home at the very chilly hour at 8am, it took me almost 2 hours of riding before I was able to feel my toes again.

We headed north towards Richmond for about an hour before turning off & heading to Springwood via Yarramundi. This is a tough ride; about 11km in total uphill. The first climb was probably the toughest & then the switchbacks kicked in. About 11kms later we arrived at Springwood & started the long roll downhill, interrupted briefly by a quick stop at the Golden Arches at Blaxland for a pit-stop, water bottle refill and hash brown :-)

Back on the flat & we headed along the M4 to the Northern Rd where R turned left & headed for home while I went south for about 1:30 out & back to make up the extra time. The "outbound" section was probably the toughest section mentally of the whole ride but physically I felt really good throughout it.

I arrived home after 4:33 with 100.5km on the clock :-) Much to my surprise, I felt really good this afternoon; much better than I have felt after recent rides. I tried to drink a lot more than I normally do which certainly seems to have helped. Not to mention the effects on recovery of mum's baked dinner :-)

MTD:
Swim - 4.25k
Bike - 303.3k

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Now that's an Alpe! You'll be able to provide expert commentary for the TdF.

2 hours before you could feel your toes! - reminds me of my hands and ears on early morning mid-winter runs down here (which I no longer do!).