Cirque, a dead road is basically a road with a bad or course surface. So that, for the same level of effort, you actually go slower than normal. Hard to explain but think about those roads you drive on where you actually slow down when going down hill.
A recovery week for me - as much as I love my training, I do love my recovery weeks after a heavy training block.
Mon: I was due to run in the morning but rescheduled it to later in the week due to a(nother) late night spent watching the TdF. Swim squad after work again - only 2.6km this week due mostly to the fact that B+ took the session rather than our usual coach which tends to result in more talking & less swimming which suited me fine tonight. It may have been a shorter session but it wasn't any easier than normal thanks to yet another set of 10 x 100s - including my fastest yet (1:41).
Tue: rest - was due to go the gym at lunch but work conspired to ensure it was a rest day.
Wed: another rest day; I decided extra sleep was a much better idea after yet another late night watching Cadel (what I thought at the time was an implosion but what turned out to be an incredible demonstration of guts). Also gave away some of my valuable blood. If only I could get it back in 4 weeks time..
Thu: after 2 days rest (which is more than I've had in the last 3 weeks) & a good nights sleep for the first time in several days, it was time to get back into it today. Headed out this morning for my little run / walk / shuffle for the first time in about 10 days which included 3 x 8min running with lots of walking on either side. I must have been running (shuffling) slower than normal because I had a longer walk home afterwards then normal. 5.1k. 40min.
Then after working through lunch, I ducked out of the office mid-afternoon for a 1.9km swim. Not much to report. I felt really comfortable in the water; 3 weeks of consistency & it actually feels like it is slowly coming together.
Fri: 45mins of pilates with Carly this morning. Unfortunately she's cutting back my running to a grand total of 3 x 5mins as my left hip doesn't want to play nicely. <>
Sat: a 3 hr 'dubya' ride - out to Richmond, back towards to Penrith for 30mins, turn around & back to Richmond for 30min, before turning and heading for home. This was probably the closest ride I've done to a race simulation; 69km on a flat and largely dead road. My legs felt reasonably good throughout the ride (and fine afterwards) though the thoughts weren't particularly positive. 4 weeks to get my head together... 69.9k. Av.23.1k/h. 3:01
Sun: rest :-)) The first time I've not set an alarm in 6 weeks. Bliss!
Back into the hard work tomorrow!
MTD:
Swim: 13.6k
Bike: 305.9k
1 comment:
Yes! I know what dead roads are. I remember cycling on one with a mate years ago and we swore we were going uphill.
Enjoy those rare alarm-free days.
Post a Comment