Wow! I can't believe that I haven't updated my blog in 3 weeks now. In the 5 years since this blog was 'born', the only other time(s) I have gone so long without an update has been when I've been high on a mountain somewhere well away from modern technology.
I wish I had been on a mountain.
I have been instead swamped by a work-related tsunami. Basically until this weekend, I worked for 28 days straight. Lots of long days and nights working until midnight & beyond. Throw in lots of adrenaline, cortisol (the 'fight' hormone in the 'fight or flight response'), nowhere near enough sleep and tonnes of coffee & my poor body has been taking a beating (mentally & physically). It has been, by far, the most difficult period of my working life to date.
So here is a quick recap of the last 3 weeks:
Week 1 (Mon 6 - Sun 12):
Wednesday & Friday were 60mins pilates with Carly.
Saturday morning I headed out for my first walk/shuffle in quite a few weeks (6 x 1min).
Sunday morning saw only my second ride in 4 weeks; 2 hours out & back with R along the Northern Road. I was worried about how much fitness I had lost after 4 weeks of very little training. But I was really pleased with the ride; in fact it turned out to my fastest ever ride over that course. Even R commented on how much faster I was! There is something to be said for working late, doing no exercise & getting no sleep ;-) 51km. Av. 24.9k/h
Week 2 (Mon 13 - Sun 19):
Monday, Wednesday & Saturdays - walk/shuffles
Thursday - a solid strength session in the gym
Friday - my first Spinervals DVD. For those who haven't had the 'pleasure' (and I use that word loosely), Spinervals is a series of bike windtrainer sessions on DVD lead by "Coach Troy" who has a rather annoying North American habit - apologies to any North American readers - of saying "good jawb" all the freaking time. I am however willing to ignore the annoyance factor given that the vid kicked my ar$e. I honestly have never worked harder on the windtrainer before, nor have I felt like I was going to throw up due to my friend lactic acid on the windtrainer before. Now I am strangely looking forward to doing another one. Yes, I am a sadistic ;-) 52mins 22.7km including 3 x 20 lunges.
Week 3 (Mon 20 - Sun 26):
Monday - massage + return to swim squad after 5 weeks off. Remind me never to take so long out of the pool again. I've lost fitness but (more importantly) technique & my 'feel' for the water. I felt like I was spinning my 'wheels' the whole time. Hopefully it will come back quickly. 2.5km
Tuesday & Saturday - walk/shuffle
Sunday - long ride. 2.5 hours out & back along the Northern Road by myself. This one felt a bit harder than my last ride - not particularly surprising given it was only my 3rd ride in 6 weeks - but the average pace revealed that the last (fast) ride wasn't a fluke. 63.3km. 2:33. 24.8k/h av.
The next phase in my project at work starts tomorrow but I will (hopefully) take a lesser role in it which will (hopefully) mean less hours at work & a return to a decent training load. It was 17 weeks today until my next BHAG goal. I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks but I'm looking forward to getting back into it :-)
MTD:
Swim - 2.5km
Bike - 137km
2 comments:
I have a new name for your business - "Jen's training - candles both ends burning".
Work-related tsunami are the pits. We get plenty down here, even this far from the ocean.
Thanks for the update - I'm always missing things on FB - no iPhone I guess, and not checking in every day.
Love your blog Jen and I sincerely hope things settle down at work. Nothing worse then working like a mad man/woman.
Post a Comment