Monday, December 19, 2005

Building the snowball....

Ouch! My glutes were v. v. sore & tight after doing my new glute exercises on Friday and (I think as a result) my knee has been a bit niggly all weekend. Did 30mins of glute and lower leg stretching twice on Saturday and once on Sunday. Lulu & Kit asked me yesterday if my ITB was improving - in all honesty, I'm not convinced that it is. I hesitate to say that because I'm really busting to go for a walk this weekend (maybe I still will) with a view to kicking off my "return to running" program on NYD. But as I sit here at my desk, I can feel my ITB beside my right knee - and it feels a bit like rope :-( But hopefully with lots of stretching and work on getting my glutes to 'fire' over the next few weeks, things will start to improve soon..

But c'est la vie. Cleaning out my diary last night, I discovered the copy of Susie Power's article from R4YL recently on snowball building. Having found my mojo, it's time to crank up my snowball building & get my (albeit limited) training back on track:

Monday: weights (lower body); glute & rotator cuff exercises; stretching
Tuesday: swim - 35mins (laps) + appointment with chiro/osteo
Wednesday: Satan (1 hour) + glute exercises
Thursday: Satan (30mins)
Friday: swim (intervals) + CR drinks!
Saturday: 20mins flat/brisk walk, glute exercises + 40mins swim (laps)
Sunday: rest (Christmas!)

Also I have to make sure I drink enough water. I hate water and my consumption of it slips off when I'm not running. My right shoulder (the slightly dodgy one) has also shown a couple of signs over the weekend that it's getting a bit unhappy again. I was expecting that at some stage it would given that my upper body has been doing a lot of work over recent weeks so regular rotator cuff exercises are part of the 'snowball' as well. As Bernie G reminded me last week (thank you!), my persistence will be rewarded.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok pissed on too much aussie cab merlot but ...love you pussycat xxx

2P said...

Keep building that snowball Jen - nothing is more omnipotent than positive vibes and persistence ;-)

Gronk said...

Hey Jen, the kids and I were throwing snow balls at Santa's Kingdom on Saturday! Heaps of it down at Fox Studios - so you can build your snowball! Does that help ? ;)

Merry Xmas Matey !

Bennyr said...

Jen, you are an awesome role model for doing what you can in the face of injury. The plan looks good - just keep listening to that body, especially that nagging $%^&ing ITB.

Cheers,
Ben

miners said...

Hey - have you been keeping an eye on Mike Power's blog from Spain (Susie' brother)? Gronk and I occasionally get visits - you should keep an eye on it as he sometimes has little updates and links to Susie too!

Katie said...

Hey Jen... it will get there!!! Just rmember to put it in perspective. You ran on a cranky ITB for about 3 months... It may take a bit longer to settle down and find a better outlook on the world! You are really positive and queen of persistance... dancing queen of persistance :-) Keep up all your good work and it will heal.

In the mean time enjoy the festivities... no need to get up too early!!!

Tesso said...

Jen, your blog is always so inspiring. You have just guilted me into doing my glute exercises. I was tempted to skip them today.

Good luck with the chiro/osteo tomorrow.

Wobbly man said...

Hang in there Zen Jen! We all know you will make it.

Hilda said...

5:00 am in to the pool?? That means being determinated!!
As long as you continue building up strenght, you know you are on the process and in the way back to running sooner or latter.
Hope this happens sooner, sooner sooner!!!!