Wow. Thanks to everyone for your comments after my lil adventure on Sunday :-)
Monday 5 June 2006 - testing the waters...
Rest day
I got out of bed this morning a bit gingerly testing to see what, if anything, was sore after Sunday's adventure. To my utter surprise, very little was the answer. My quads are feeling quite beaten up & the ligaments & tendons around my ankles were tender but there were no niggles or injuries. *Yippee* I was feeling a bit run down & tired (and struggled to keep my eyes open at a seminar all afternoon) but otherwise I pulled up really well. *Yippee*
Looking back to yesterday I am really pleased with my run. I ran it conservatively & managed to hold back & not get catch up in the madness that was the sprint to the 3km mark (where the trail narrowed down to a single trail). Though one thing I need to work out is why I felt bloated after the drink stop at the 12km mark - despite the fact that I only had 2 mouthfuls out of 2p's water bottle and one cup of water at the drink stop (my only drink previously being a cup at the 6km drink stop & a one or two small sips of water in between). A bit strange. Any ideas?
Saw Saint Andrew for a wheel alignment tonight who was just as surprised as me as to how I pulled up. And yes, again he rolled his eyes when I told him of my next adventure :-)
The next challenge is, of course, Woodford to Glenbrook, a 25kms trail run (which I'm told is not as hard/"technical" as the Nosh). Strangely I'm still feeling uncertain, unconvinced & undecided about it. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm forgetting the golden rule I learnt when I was injured - "every run is a good run". I'm not sure where I left my "F*ck it, just go for it" 'tude that I had a few weeks ago but I need to find it ;-)
Tuesday 6 June 2006 - back to the gym
Upper body weights session
Headed to the gym after work for an upper body weights session - circuit of:
* reverse flyes
* single arm cable rows
* barbell bicep curls
* single arm lying tricep curls
* lat pulldowns
* internal/external rotator cuff stuff,
repeated twice.
I was feeling pretty tired as I'd been up early to pick up folks up from the airport at 5.15(!) so I thought the quality of the session might suffer but once I'd warmed up, I was fine.
Wednesday 7 June 2006 - on the road again....
Run
Time to hit the road again.
Distance: 5.06kms
Duration: 33:20min
Aver pace: 6:35min/km
MTD: 25.07kms
When I went to bed last night, there was torrential rain (again) so I had a back-up plan of heading to the gym at lunch in case there was heavy rain when I woke up. Thankfully the running gods listened to me & I woke up to discover a clear sky and even a few stars! So out I went. I must have fluked it because within 20mins of getting home it was pouring again! To say it was a bit rough would be an understatement. My shin muscles (whatever they are called) complained loudly during the first half & my quads the second half. Still, there were no niggles or injuries so I am one happy gal :-)
I'm not sure what the rest of the week holds for me. I will just listen to my body & decide on a daily basis. A massage tomorrow from the Tiger should go some way to sorting out this residual muscle stuff...
5 comments:
No blouse talk. I still went for a run in the rain. W2G the course is wide so I am told as you drive cars down it so as wide as that. It bit rocky though so you have to watch ankles. I'll be down at Dapto running a half with Wriggler like last year.
Congrats on the Nosh!
From what I've read the first 12k is very rocky and you can't look at the scenery for this bit - recommendation is not to wear racing flats.
I was having a look at the races you've just done and have lined up.
With them mostly 2-4 weeks apart they seem like all good training opportunities in the build up for your longer goals next year. Really enjoyable, fun training at that.
I'm sure now you're recovering/recovered from NOSH you'll psyche up for the next one soon enough. Even if you couldn't make the odd one on the list for whatever reason there's still plenty of others to enjoy :)
Nice work on the recovery Jen - you are going to love W2G ;-)
See you at W2G! I was a bit non-committal about it, but the closer it gets, the more I'm looking forward to it :-)
Gnome
Post a Comment