Sunday, June 04, 2006

NOSHing it

First I must thank Hannah for help with my new blog header. I took that photo through the windscreen of our bus during a 6 hour trip from Arica in northern Chile to La Paz in Bolivia during our Sth American adventure last year.

Now, to the NOSH. What a day - what a course!

My day didn't start particularly well. I woke at 5am with a terrible headache. Partly due (I think) to my neck being out of alignment (where is Saint Andrew when I need him?) & dehydration (& no, it wasn't alcohol-related). I was so cold last night that I wrapped myself up like a mummy in bed & turned the heater on. Anyway I woke again at 7am and after breakfast, a shower & some drugs I was feeling just about sub-human by the time I arrived at the finish at Seaforth at 8.30am. It's nice being at a race northside for once - only took me 5mins to get there!

After picking up MPH, Bristol FC & Ellie, we headed to the finish at Lindfield to meet up with the rest of the crowd. I wasn't feeling my usual chatty self thanks to the headache so my apologies.

My plan today was simple: run conversatively & don't break anything!

I started with Ellie and The Owl and lost them about 50m after the start as I took off with gusto. Fortunately 2P quite unexpectedly appeared on my shoulder at about the 2km mark. We ran along chatting & taking in the lovely scenery until about the 4km mark when 2P dropped back to check on Ellie & The Owl. At about this time, my left achillies started to complain (loudly) so just before the Roseville Bridge I stopped for a few minutes to give both a good stretch which worked.

At the 6km drinks station, I managed to pour most of the water into my lungs so the next km was a bit slow. Just before 2p caught up to me again at about the 7km mark, I found myself thinking of the dark days of late last year when my ITB was at its worst. I can't begin to describe how I feel about being back running on trails again! Funny, I still can't quite believe that "I'm back" - and now I clearly am as this race was my longest ever , my longest ever run (based on time) & my first trail run.

From about the 7km mark, 2p & I ran most of the way to the finish together. A really challenging but fun run - having to use your hands to scramble up one huge rock face made for change of scenery from my usual long runs!. I must thank Satan when I next see her - my lack of cardio-fitness was starting to catch up on me towards the finish but my legs (and quads in particular) felt fine. All those hundreds of lunges I've done over the last 3 years certainly paid off today!

I was having a few negative thoughts mid-race about my next adventure: Woodford to Glenbrook. Doubting that I am fit enough for it etc - but I managed to block out those thoughts & concentrated on the job at hand. A good thing too - it's not a course to lose your concentration on.

The kms marks slowly ticked away & all of a sudden we popped out of the bush & onto the Seaforth oval for a short run to the finish. Mr Jen was there - sitting on the hill to cheer me on which meant a lot to me.

After a long chat and (of course) some food, we were about to leave when the announcer said that there were a few mugs left for anyone who hadn't won one - so with a sprint that Asafa Powell would have been proud of, I bolted to the table to grab one of the last mugs :-) Though someone please remind me in future to always order race t-shirts in size XS. Even the small is waaaaay to big for me!

A few lessons learned:

(1). I lurve trail running. It's where I'm meant to be. Well, I knew this already - today's race (despite its difficulty) simply reminded me of this.

(2). Trust my judgement. I didn't use my fuel belt. I brought it with me but after speaking with a few people who suggested I wouldn't need it, I left it behind. That was a mistake. Thanks 2P for the water.

Edit:
(3) Trail running is 95% mental. If I let negative thoughts sneak in or started thinking about something else, my landing became less secure & I started to stumble and trip a bit. Focus/control your thoughts on the task at hand & the body will follow.

(4) Porridge & white toast with honey is a good pre-race meal for me. Though I might add a coffee next time ;-)

(5) I am fitter & stronger (both mentally & physically) than I imagined.

A great day - but gee, I'm going to sleep well tonight!

Distance: 14.91kms (according to Garmin Elektra)
Duration: :1.53.30
Aver pace: 7:36min/km
MTD: 20.01kms

24 comments:

Ellie80 said...

hey jen - it was a pleasure to share such an adventure (for me!) with such excellent company :) i forgot how sore i was as soon as i was over the line having a chat. hehe.

and a million thanks for the ride to the start!!

undercover brother said...

so you love trail running heh?
we'll have you on the dark side in no time!
good luck at W2G.

Horrie said...

Congrats on getting through this very tough run in one piece. At least it didn't rain today like it has in the past. Woodford to Glenbrook should seem like a walk in the park compared to this course.

Horrie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cirque said...

I love the new blog header Jen.

You are SO back! I'm really glad you got through this course OK and you are going to blitz W2G.

No more negative thoughts, OK chicky?

Wobbly man said...

She's back baby, she's back! Way to go Jen!! Great race report and an impressive final sprint to the table for the mug!

2P said...

You did very well out there today Jen - you are going to slay W2G which is nowhere near as hard a course as the NOSH - just a bit longer :-)

Superflake said...

Congrats on getting through the Nosh unscathed.You know your blog title now appears as just a full stop instead of Jen Runs on bloglines. You may have to check that.

BuckeyeRunner said...

Way to conquer the Nosh! Great job!! I think trail running is so great for your body! I need to start doing more of it! And I love the new header, by the way.

Hilda said...

Looks like running made you forgot about that terrible headache!
While running very negative thoughts come to my mind, I've learn now to know it is just a stage that goes away after the 4th mile.

Yes, Jen, you are definitely BACK!!

Spud said...

Great stuff Jen, trail running is addictive. Glad to see you finished well and in one piece, see you at W2G.

Hannah said...

woooohooooo! Knew you could do it :)

You, Me and the Glasshouse next year baby! ;) and Six Foot of course ;)

Dave said...

Well done Jen, sounds like you had a great day. There'll be no stopping you now, and as the others say W2G is a walk in the park certainly quite less "technical" and a nice gentle downhill for about 10km to help you finish!

PortRunr said...

Congrats on the run Jen...sounds like a tough course! So great that you're out enjoying the trails again :)
Love the new header - what an amazing photo.

Katie said...

I love the header! Great effort Jen... never doubt yourself! If you can survive that ITB ordeal you can do anything :-) Are you heading to the gold coast?

Chelle said...

Wooooooo-hooo look at the climb! Nice one. Great photo too :)

miners said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Great to hear that things went so well Jen. I don't know what it is with left achilles' though! >:(

love the photo in the banner too ...

CJ said...

Well done Jen! trail running is great - I love it as well nut unfortunately I don't do enough of it. Maybe I should do the Woodford to Glenbrook run...maybe.

Tesso said...

I see we have another feral ultra runner in the making here :-)

Bennyr said...

Champion Effort, Jen.

It is just great to see the way you are blitzing it now. Well done.

Cheers,
Ben

Unknown said...

Love the header. Great work my friend!

David Criniti said...

Good job mate. See you at W2G.

Unknown said...

A really tough run, Jen & you're through with flying colours...& pom-poms...CR ones of course!

TA and the Gnome said...

Great report. Wish I could have been there. Still, I probably will be for W2G, so see you there! Great photo, by the way :-0

Gnome