Sunday, July 16, 2006

Buns of steel

Saturday 15 July
A sleep-in this morning followed by probably the toughest GRC Pilates class I've ever done (using the Reformer machines). Bloody hell, my glutes continued to complain about it hours after the event. Luckily the rest of my day was spent seated at a l-o-n-g & slightly boozy lunch with 2 of my favourite (female) clients who I have known & lunched with for years.

Sunday 16 July
I have never had glutes as sore as they are this morning. After another sleep-in, I finally set out for my long run at about 9.30am. The plan was to do 21kms incorporating heading out & back along the trail from Middle Head to Sirius Cove (including running up & back down Athol Wharf Rd to the zoo car park not once but twice just for fun - elevation gain of something like 50mins in just over a km).

Well that was the plan. The first 35mins were quite simply hell with both of my tib-ants & my left arch complaining loudly. Once they settled down, 2 sections of the trail were closed. And then Garmin Elektra starting having a tantie (she is a redhead after all) or maybe it was PMS. The signal dropped out and then started producing km splits like 17mins, then 30mins then (wait for it) 48sec! In the end I decided to ignore her & just run for 2hr 30mins.

According to SportsTracks, I did 20.36kms but looking at it in Gmaps, it was probably closer to 22.79kms so I'm going to take that (in 2:33:16).

Still got some lower leg "issues" to sort out but there was no sign of my piriformis (which I've been ignoring lately). Or maybe it was just masked by the pain coming from my glutes...

WTD: 43.94kms (my biggest so far!)

MTD: 78.84kms

Week ahead:
Mon: easy/recovery 30mins around the oval + Yoga
Tues: massage
Wed: 70mins run (hills) + weights session with Satan
Thur: Saint Andrew
Fri: 60mins run
Sat: GRC Pilates class then a road trip to the Hunter Valley with Go Girl!
Sun: my first kind-of-official Half as part of a marathon relay with Go Girl at the Hunter Valley running festival!

7 comments:

PortRunr said...

Good long run - nice prep for the relay next weekend...better than me - I died after 17km today!

Tesso said...

Jen, those Sunday runs of yours are just getting longer and longer. Fantastic stuff. Are you sure just half of the marathon next weekend will be far enough for you ;-)

Ellie80 said...

nice work jen! that was a long one!! pilates as well. you are a paragon of virtue - definitely my number one inspiration at present!

(sorry about the eating photo on my blog - i liked it though :) - it also reminds me of how i felt so sh*t at the end - and during really - that i couldn't eat anything except killer pythons. a good reminder to think hard if i think i want to do it again!!)

Gronk said...

Nice Sunday run Jen. All the best for next weekend !

Lulu said...

Great to see Pilates doing it's evil work. It never feels that bad when you're doing it.

Fantastic run on Sunday and I'm sure you'll all have a blast at HV.

miners said...

gee - fantastic week, training wise for you J. Can't believe how easily you're popping out 20km runs all over the place ;)

nice reference to your hill. I can't wait for Tuesday night - have even worked out my midnight meal-plan in advance :)

Chelle said...

hey, great hit out of K's this week!