Sunday, January 28, 2007

Heading for the hills (again)

I had thought about heading to Quarry Road or back to the Six Foot Track this weekend but decided I needed some time alone with my thoughts so I headed to the Glenbrook National Park (which is about 15mins from home) for part of a route that Mr G suggested. He described it as "seriously hilly". He wasn't kidding. I think I did more walking than running today...



I parked at the gate just after 7am. I had planned to go earlier but couldn't get out of bed this morning. It was beautiful & quiet with only the occasional MTBer & walker around. Ran down to the causeway, walked up the other side & then ran along the main road to the Ironbark picnic ground, where I turned down a trail to the Euroka Campground & was greeted by the resident kangaroos. After a stop to powder my nose, I walked back up the road out of the campground, turned right & headed to the Portal Lookout. This was a constant climb but the incredible view down the Nepean River was worth it. I can't believe that in all the time I spent at the Euroka campground as a kid that I've never been to the lookout before - it's stunning. Will take my camera next time...

I turned around & started heading back to the Euroka Campground. On the way, a car stopped to warn me that there was a red belly black snake was on the road a bit further down. Farkkk. Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to catch a glimpse of it - it had moved on by the time I got there. After another pitstop at Euroka, I decided to head back up Bennetts Ridge Road - better known as the last section of the Woodford to Glenbrook trail. Yikes. It certainly didn't feel particularly 'downhill' during the W2G race - it wasn't a big climb but it's constant.

Eventually I made it back to the Oaks Fire Trail. My hip had been complaining for a while by now & I had just about had enough - if a car had driven past I have have hitched a lift back to my car. But alas, no cars so I ran back down to the causeway & walked up the other side, managing to catch, overtake & leave for dust a poor dude trying to ride his MTB up the hill..

Energy wise I felt fine so in that regard it was a confidence boost that I need after last week. Easy Tiger & Saint Andrew have some work to do though...

Finished in 22.51kms in 2:47:47 (aver 7.27min/km). It was what I needed - some thinking time by myself on a trail with only kangaroos & snakes for company.

MTD: 160.43kms

14 comments:

blues buffett said...

Well done on the Aus Day fun run, especially in the warmth out west. Sorry I missed it. I think I'll leave it to about April before trying bush running. I agree with Jim Stafford back in 1974: "I don't like spiders and snakes..."

Shane said...

Nice running Jen. I know that area pretty well, I used to do alot of MTB riding on the Oaks Fire trail when I used to live in Penrith. I agree with the hills especially the ones going down to and out of the causeway, they are very steep.

Looks as though your 6ft training is progressing well. Nice one!

Lulu said...

Looks like another good one in the bank. I'm sure ET and the Saint will be able to fix you...keep the faith!

Glad you didn't step on any nasty snakes and I hope you've got some ID on you.

2P said...

Wooohoo nice run Jen - very well done indeed.

Aint it grear to pass a MTB :-)

Used to teach people to abseil off Mt Portal...

Ellie80 said...

good run chick - glad you didn't run into that snake :) take it easy now...

Superflake said...

Nice run Jen. No injuries ok, not long to go now till race day.

Horrie said...

That's another great run today Jen. It's all building very nicely for the big day. Unfortunately, I cannot make the Megalong Mega next week due to Little Athletics commitments. Belinda is hoping to go if her calf comes good before then.

CJ said...

Sometimes they are the best sort of runs........

Runner Susan said...

red belly black snake? that sounds really scary!

Gronk said...

Lots of nice hills there Jen. Look after those nice pins of yours.

miners said...

gee - this blog has turned itself around a bit since this time last year! Casually doing a nice 6.xx min/km 5k then following it up with this monster of a run.

Great to see miss FHG. Hope the mind de-fogged a little too :)

PortRunr said...

Solid run there Jen - that's a crazy hill profile!
Thanks again for organising dinner...might leave DJ to raise any issues discussed ;)
Hope you find an equally exciting travel opportunity - I'm sure the planning will be fun.

Wobbly man said...

Wow Jen - I'm amazed at where you are at! Congrats mate!

Tesso said...

Nice work on the looooong hillllly run Jen.

As Lulu said I hope you carry ID. And do you let somebody know exactly where you are running? With all the stuff that's been happening up here in Brissie I get a bit worried whenever I hear about a girl running on her own.