Thursday, January 11, 2007

Relativity

At the moment I'm reading a new book called Holding On by Jo Gambi. Jo & her husband Rob abandoned their jobs & set out to climb the Seven Summits (the highest mountain on each of the continents) after Rob overcame his second battle with cancer. What I'm enjoying most is her exploration of the 'mental' side of mountain climbing - how the mind can keep pushing the body long after the body wants to shut down.

Only by going to our physical limits could we discover the possibilities that lay beyond them

I need to remember that as I power my way up Black Range Road in 8 weeks & 2 sleeps time :-)

Well I went out for a run this morning with the intention of going for a 40mins cruise around the 'hood ahead of 3 + hours at Quarry Road on Sunday. But sometimes ya just gotta listen to your body - and today, it wanted to go fast(ish) :-) Fast of course is a relative term. Despite not having run a single km faster than 6min/km since I-don't-know-when, I finished my run this morning with 6.92k (aver 5:48min/k). I didn't think my legs could go that fast after so much long sloooow stuff lately! So this is happens when you train consistently? I like it :-)

..though I have to say that I'm looking forward to getting back on a trail this weekend - it's been 11 days now - I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms ;-)

Tomorrow promises a GRC Int/Adv Pilates class at lunch before dinner with a gaggle of CoolRunners at Lulu & Wine Trail Runner's lovely abode tomorrow night - Cirque's in town - yippee :-)

MTD: 70.9k

9 comments:

2P said...

Hill work increases speed.

Nice work Jen ;-)

Tesso said...

Gosh, only 8 weeks! Sounds longer the way 2P does it, talking in days.

Have fun at the dinner. Say hi to that Brissie bird from me :-)

miners said...

now hang on a minute. Since when was there any formal declaration of something actually happening in 8 weeks time?

Hilda said...

Good choice and inspiring history, I'll put it on my list for reading.
Great you are feeling with energy to run fast!

Lulu said...

V noice indeed. I'm sure you'll find running on the flat really easy after all the hill stuff.

CJ said...

Have a great evening - tho' I have no doubt you will. And your running is going great guns!

I won't see your email until next Momday - gives me a reason to look forward to going to work! :-)

strewth said...

Hope your dinner was fantastic. It's always fun with CRs get together. Good luck for your long run tomorrow.

blues buffett said...

Hi Jen
Are you doing the FREE Australia Day 10k at Penrith Lakes?
Sounds great - we'll probably make a day of it, if we can mobilise the family.
Maybe it needs a little BUMP on CR...

Anonymous said...

Nice work Jen!!