It's been an interesting, intriguing & emotional week in more ways than one...
I haven't mentioned my glute recently - not because its been fine but because I don't want to dwell on it. After visits to Saint Andrew on both Monday and Tuesday and one of the most painful hours I've spent in the Tiger's lair yet, we have gotten to the bottom of the problem (pun intended). And it's not my glute - basically the structural/biomechnical problem relating to my pelvis that I was having last year (the cause of my old ITB problem) is starting to flare up again. At least now I know what's going on & the best way to manage it & minimise any damage over the next 6 weeks & 1 sleep
;-)
Wednesday morning I headed out for a run. I was feeling emotionally fragile after some 'stuff' on Tuesday & still physically beaten up after my run on Sunday so I decided to let me old bod decided what it wanted to do.
It was a rough start. After an incredible light show on Tuesday night during a storm, it was soooo humid out there. For the first 15mins I couldn't even get into 1st gear & was thinking of pulling the pin early. But after about 15mins (& a couple of stops to stretch my calves) my body not only found 1st gear but was threatening to move up to 2nd gear. And then one of my most favourite things in the word happened - it started raining. Heavily. There are few things I love more than running in summer rain - trail running, chocolate & red wine immediately come to mind but there are others ;-)
Although my hip complained for most of it, it was a bloody fantastic run :-)) It was THE perfect confidence boosting run - just what I needed after the last few days. Finished with 7.33k in 46:07mins (aver 6:17min/k).
Thursday started well. I stayed at Ellie's place on Wednesday night after dinner with a constellation of CoolRunners. So as Ellie headed off to join the SWEAT crew, I headed into the gym for an interval session on the bike -
5mins warm up
5 x 5mins efforts/2:30mins recovery
5 mins cool down
Total: 47:30mins
Finished off with 3 sets of single leg hamstring curls - part of the treatment for my eager pelvis (thanks Ellie!), ab/core stuff & lots of stretching. Great way to start the day :-)
Unfortunately I found out later in the day that my holiday to Central America has been cancelled by the tour operator for lack of numbers! Farkkkk. I know the universe is probably unfolding as it should but I don't like the universe today ;-) Back to the drawing board…
With the Australia Day fun run on at the Regatta Centre at Penriff, Owly & Ellie came to stay at Chez Penriff on Thursday night. While the prospect of being able to leave home 3mins before we wanted to arrive at the Regatta Centre had some appeal, I think (at least so far as Ellie was concerned) the fact that Mum had offered to cook a baked dinner was the major selling point ;-)
I had previously decided to do one of the races (5k or 10k) at my usual Friday run pace - ie slow. After Wednesday's run, the decision to do the 5k was easy. Owly decided to run a slow 5k too so to make sure we did, we decided our goal was to run a PW! It was great to run with Owly again (it's been far too long). We had great fun at the back of the pack, cheering, talking, laughing, solving the worlds - and our - problems. Thanks Owly! Finished with 4.98k in 32.07mins (aver 6.27min/k). No complaints from my hip today so the stretching/strengthing is paying off.
Afterwards Owly & I sat around catching up with Go Girl (waves!) while Ellie went off for a ride. It was great day - I don't know what I'd do without you gals :-)
MTD: 137.92kms !
To answer Tesso's question, my next visit to the Track is next weekend as part of the Megalong Mega fat ass run (hopefully not the Megalong Massacre as someone has nicknamed it!) unless I head up there again this weekend. Dunno yet. I'm still undecided where or for how long I'll run this weekend....
7 comments:
6 weeks & 1 sleep - is that all!
We all run for those type of Wednesday runs. I hope they become more frequent.
It'll be Megalong Mastery by the time you've finished :)
big week hey? i could sleep for a month! thanks for the accommodation and please offer you mum my services as roast dinner consumer on a permanent basis. Also happy for your dad to make my car his special project :)
A good training week Jen. I wouldn't go to the track 2 weeks in a row. The megalong to pluvi is very hard on your legs. Especially coming back up from coxs to your car.
Nice recovery Jen - your training is going great ;-)
The trouble with PW's is that the longer you train, the harder they are to achieve... :-)
Gnome
Sounds good Jen, and good to hear you can plan ahead for your injury!
Six weeks and one day and you're going to fly!
Hi Jen! The weekend you come to Canberra is the very same one we revisit Mt Tennant! However, we can discuss options before you arrive - there is always Mt Ainslie!
Sorry to hear about the Central America trip cancellation - very frustrating.
Take care and look after that hip. After all there is only 6 weeks and 1 sleep to go!
Post a Comment