Sunday, May 27, 2007

Me, myself & I

Well I've been home 2 weeks now. I have found it hard to adjust to life here again. I am finding it very distressing as I realise the extent to which we fail to recognise our blessings & the opportunities we have. But I also recognise that there is nothing I can do here except ensure that I live a rich & full life & use my resources - my blessings & opportunities - to enhance the lives of those less fortunate. Stay tuned because soon I'll be asking anyone reading this to do the same....

The first week when I wasn't working I was lying on the couch or sleeping. Between the chest infection, post-holiday fatigue & a dose of "Bangkok Belly" that I picked up in, well, Bangkok on the way home, I wasn't a particularly well girl. So I made the difficult decision not to travel up to Brisbane with Owly for the Warwick Penath-run weekend. It is a fantastic weekend & I was very sorry to miss it. However it was the right decision - after 4 days of resting, I headed back to work on Tuesday morning (I'd taken Fri & Mon off due to Warwick), I was feeling much better.

This week I've slowly been easing back into the training. After not running for 6 weeks, I headed out last Sunday for a short run. I was surprised that despite having trekked around 250k up & down the Himalayas, a short 20mins run left me with some DOMS. A good reminder of the pounding that the body takes thanks to running - and to resume my stretching regime. I've followed this up with another 2 short runs this week - the longest being 30mins this morning - and an upper body weights session on Thursday. No complaints from the body and with my cough slowly residing, the effects of all that altitude training is becoming noticeable which should come in handy with the Great Nosh (a 15k trail run) next Sunday. I've done bugger all running since Six Foot so it's gunna be interesting.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

here here Jen! My meditation seminar has reminded me that it's only in seeking happiness for others that we find happiness for ourselves.

Tesso said...

Won't be long Jen and you will be feeling normal again. I reckon somewhere along that Great Nosh trail .... :-)

blues buffett said...

Good Gosh Great Nosh!

That will bring you back to reality...

Forecast: 18 and chance of shower - hmmm, sounds like ideal bush-bashing weather. Good luck!

TA and the Gnome said...

Nosh? Just imagine a heap of Ice, snow and towering peaks and you'll romp it in! :-)

Gnome

CJ said...

Good to hear you are on the mend jen - take care. You'll be flying soon!

Ewen said...

Good to hear you're feeling better and running again Jen.

Didn't you do bugger all running before 6'? You'll be fine at Nosh - the last hill is just like a hike in the Himalayas ;)

Samurai Running said...

I still don't get that.

After the basics of food, clothing and shelter are covered we really don't have any right to complain unless it is directly followed by action.

We have to slap ourselves ocassionally to stop the drift towards self obsession.

I'm lucky my wife does my slapping for me ;)

Shane said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, that 'Bangkok Belly' sounds pretty horrible.

Good luck with the run on Sunday, those trails will look like bumps to what you have been used to over the last month or so.