The body roams the mountains and the soul is set free
I saw this quote on my last day in Kathmandu. It sums up perfectly how I felt during my trip to Nepal.
I struggle to describe my trip to Nepal as a holiday. It was - by far - the hardest thing I have ever done (both physically & mentally) – ultimately we trekked somewhere around 250km. But it has been more than a holiday for me – more like a life changing experience. It taught me a lot about myself, how strong I am, how blessed I am & about the type of life I want for myself. As incredible as the scenery was, it was the people of Nepal who truly touched my heart with their generosity, compassion & passion for life.
I saw this quote on my last day in Kathmandu. It sums up perfectly how I felt during my trip to Nepal.
I struggle to describe my trip to Nepal as a holiday. It was - by far - the hardest thing I have ever done (both physically & mentally) – ultimately we trekked somewhere around 250km. But it has been more than a holiday for me – more like a life changing experience. It taught me a lot about myself, how strong I am, how blessed I am & about the type of life I want for myself. As incredible as the scenery was, it was the people of Nepal who truly touched my heart with their generosity, compassion & passion for life.
A 'few' photos - first we spent a few days in Kathmandu….
Downtown Kathmandu – being a Hindu country, cows are sacred in Nepal - you can serve jail time for killing one - so they basically have right of way & can often be found walking or laying down in the middle of major roads, completely oblivious to the traffic.
The first time I saw the recluse Chomolungma – Everest - on the trek from our camp to Namche Bazaar (el.3446m ) As I said, she was being a bit shy that day.

Our hotel at Namche Bazaar. The helicopter crashed there about 2 years ago but it is too expensive to remove it (it would need to be broken down into parts & carried out by porters) so it’s stayed.
Our campsite at Dole (el.4200m). False advertising I think 'cause I was looking but didn't find any yetis...

The view back down to the village of Gokyo - and our camp - el. 4790m, from the 'hill' known as Gokyo Ri (el. 5360m) which took us 3 very long hours to walk up. By far the hardest single thing - physically & mentally - I have ever done. I suppose the fact that at 5,500m there is only 50% of the oxygen at sea level didn't help either....
Still climbing...
Finally! On the top of Gokyo Ri (el. 5360). Everest is the peak over my left shoulder. And yes, it is as cold as it appears...
Contemplating Everest.
Snow climbing my way up to the Cho La pass (el.5420m). Yes, it is as steep as it appears!
On Cho La pass. I’d made the mistake of skipping through the snow to get in position for this photo. As I discovered, not an easy thing to do at that altitude...
At the top of Cho La, about the drop down into the next valley. Ama Dadham is at the head of the valley. Our next campsite is the dot of orange near my right hand.
At the top of Kala Pattar (el.5550m) Everest is trying to hide in the cloud immediately above my left shoulder. Everest Base Camp can just be seen to the left of the photo.
Everest poking her head out to say hello (over Nuptse) on the walk to Everest Base Camp
At Base Camp (el. 5364m)
Couldn't resist !
The view from our tent back at Namche Bazaar!
As I said, just a 'few' photos. If anyone wants to see a "few" more, email or PM me...
Righto, 'bout time this blog resumed its normal transmissions I suppose...
Our hotel at Namche Bazaar. The helicopter crashed there about 2 years ago but it is too expensive to remove it (it would need to be broken down into parts & carried out by porters) so it’s stayed.
The view back down to the village of Gokyo - and our camp - el. 4790m, from the 'hill' known as Gokyo Ri (el. 5360m) which took us 3 very long hours to walk up. By far the hardest single thing - physically & mentally - I have ever done. I suppose the fact that at 5,500m there is only 50% of the oxygen at sea level didn't help either....
As I said, just a 'few' photos. If anyone wants to see a "few" more, email or PM me...
Righto, 'bout time this blog resumed its normal transmissions I suppose...
16 comments:
noice!
Beautiful Photo's Jen. The ground is certainly a lot rockier than I assumed it would be.Love the ute with the engine fan belt showing.
Fantastic pics Jen! Dare I ask if you have plans to get a little further than base camp sometime?
Oh, and welcome home. Shame you can't make it to Warwick. After what you've been doing the run up the mountain would seem downhill :)
Hey Jen
That is some post. I've never heard of anyone coming back from that experience that wasn't changed for the better.
Really amazing stuff! I will go one day.
Reading that report I couldn't get this line "Ohh girl dancing down those dirty amnd dusty trails" out of my mind and the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWEfmCvu8R8
Goodluck getting back to normal life Jen
amazing trip jen.
fantastic photos.
i'm amazed u can see everest so clearly.
in the photos it looks so close!
almost makes u think.......
Absolutely fantastic photos Jen. That one on Kala Pattar - you look so close to Everest you could reach out and touch it.
Inspirational stuff, but surely it wasn't as hard as 6' ;)
Welcome home. After such an experience, it is hard to feel comfortable with our lifestyle compared to theirs. Don't waste time and energy trying to change here but use the resources that you gain from here to enhance their lives back there.
TA
Hi Jen
I have been away too (nowhere as exciting as you) and I lost your blog for awhile. But its fantastic to read about your trip now and see the amazing photos. It makes me want to go too.
Hi Jen
I have been away too (nowhere as exciting as you) and I lost your blog for awhile. But its fantastic to read about your trip now and see the amazing photos. It makes me want to go too.
OOooooo, so jealous! *grins* looks bloody amazing :)
Welcome home!
Wow!!! What absolutely stunning photos Jen. What an amazing adventure you have had. Thanks for sharing.
Jen,
I'm glad that your experience was worthy of the anticipation (and then some).
Welcome home.
Cheers,
Ben
Nice pics Jen. A picture paints a 1,000 words is sure true on this occasion. Hey it looks cccold there !
Welcome home Jen. Just love the photos. They are amazing. Sounds and looks like you had an incredible experience - wow!
Magic in every word and pic Jen.
Awesome photos Jen, can't wait to hear the tales.
Post a Comment