I'm allowed to run Lulu but I can't because it (still) hurts to walk. My hip has however improved today but my plans to do the Bush Capital 25k are looking a little shaky right now - at the very least, I hope to be able to do the 16k option. Not being able to run or ride is really starting to annoy me - not least because I have been rather"undisciplined" when it comes to my eating habits since I got back from Nepal and I am about 2kgs heavier than I would like. Let's just say that watching yourself on a screen running on a treadmill wearing only a croptop & bike shorts is somewhat confronting.
I headed into the gym before work today for my glute/abs/quad/hammy physio-ordered session. I have to admit that I felt like a bit of a goose doing my 'movement exercises' in public. I'm basically trying to teach my body to (properly) transfer weight from one foot to the other. Who knew that I was able to get through 32 years of my life without knowing how ;-) I also spent 5mins on the treadmill practising my new running style. Don, it's not so much hips-forward as tilting my pelvis in the opposite direction to which it likes to sit,LOL. It feels very unco but the effects are immediately noticeable. The amount of rotation in my upper body - particularly in my arms - decreases considerably when I do it (properly). I was hoping to do an upper body weights session as well but ran out of time. After doing my glute/abs physio-ordered stuff at home on Tuesday night as well, my butt is toast - I think it's about to fall off in protest. One can only hope;-)
Thursday brings another long and busy day - is it too early to think about the weekend yet? :-)
5 comments:
Jen, I am intrigued by your running technique. I am trying to run more with butt in/gut in and think this means my pelvis is tilted more upright than in the forward position. Doing that certainly reduces the strain I can sometimes feel in my back. But I still have considerable rotation in my upper body and I am interested that you are feeling decreased rotation.
I hope to run the Bush Capital 25k or 16k and, should you be there, I would be interested in catching up so you could show me your technique in action.
I have that same problem at the gym, doing some of my physio stuff in public is kind of embarrassing. I talked to Mat about it and he reckons he just closes his eyes so he can't tell if anyone is watching. It works :-)
I hope you can make it down for the BC - it sounds like it will be pretty big this year.
I don't mind doing movement drills 'in public', although there usually aren't many spectators around down at Calwell on a winter afternoon.
I tried closing my eyes at the gym while doing my exercises like Tesso said but couldn't find the dumbbells.
You seem so focused and active Jen it wont be long before you're back in the shape you want. It is hard over the last part of winter and maybe OK just to let it slide for a while, at least until early spring when you can get back to more running.
Just don't look in any mirrors while wearing only a croptop & bike shorts for a while. Or do your exercises down with Ewen at Calwell. You would look far better in contrast to Ewen in his orange lycra training t-back!
Jen,
My sister-in-law got some help from a guy re: technique and helped her a lot. See his website if you are keen - some interesting reading, but pretty full-on.
http://www.robsrun.org.au/
Post a Comment