Another busy few days.
It's interesting how when you open yourself to one experience & immediately more seem to follow. It was suggested to me during the week that it's likely that I could be ready to climb Denali (the highest mountain in Nth America) mid-next year. Unfortunately it isn't feasible but the power of suggestion - particularly what others think you are capable of even when you don't believe it yourself - is an incredibly powerful thing.
For the last 10 days or so, I've been monitoring my energy intake & expenditure with Fitday.com which has been an interesting & eye-opening exercise to say the least. I've discovered, eg, that I previously overestimated not only my 'basal' metabolic rate but my energy needs & expenditure based on my training levels. No wonder the last few kgs have been hard to shift! But I'm now making progress - down 1kg over the last 2 weeks (with another weekly weigh in tomorrow morning). The plan is to lose 1 more kg then reassess my goal weight.
Sunday
AM - 100mins ride - 40.59k (av. 24.8!!) + 4k & 10min w/u & c/d
Most of today's ride was on the M7 itself today for the first time - hence the extra speed :-) Beautiful morning out there & an enjoyable ride.
Monday
AM - easy 25mins run (3.79k)
Beautiful clear morning with an unusual amount of stars visible. Pretty :-) I had planned a 30min run but my right adductor was a bit tight so I cut it short. Yah for me, I'm listening to my body :-)
PM - 45mins strength session at lunch
Dropped the usual lunges from the program to give the adductor a rest but ran through the rest of the circuit twice:
- 5mins bike w/u
- 20 x single leg dead lifts with SB
- 20 x single arm bent over row (10kg)
- 15 x 'woodchops'
- 20 x alt arm/leg
- plank til failure
+ 15mins stretching
Tuesday
AM - 30mins on the bike including lots of short, sharp efforts.
PM - massage
Wednesday
AM: 40mins run (6.22k) + 10mins walk w/u & c/d
Session went well. No sign of the adductor niggle which was good. Still feeling a bit tight here & there so more stretching over the next few days before a return to the trails on the weekend (yippee!)
PM: 60mins PT session.
The PT wanted to trash my legs again but given the adductor issue earlier in the week, he decided to trash my back instead...
- 10mins w/u
- 3 x supersets of:
(a) 20 x lunges + single arm row (20kg on cables)
(b) 20 x squats + bicep curls (6kgs). Initially 3 curls per squat then down to 2
- 20 x bent over rows (2 x 7kg DBs)
- 20 x single arm rows on SB (8kg)
- extra stretching
Thursday
AM: 1k open water swim (24:20min)
Back down to the Regatta Centre for another open water swim. That time includes stopping twice to de-tangle myself from weeds that had wrapped around my head, neck, hands etc as well as a quick chat with the 'spotter' on shore at the turnaround. I am really pleased with this swim - I felt comfortable the whole way. :-) And it also meant that I didn't get into work until after 10am - nice :-)
Looking forward to a long weekend of sleeping, training, eating, sleeping & racing :-)
MTD: S - 6.3k + B - 72.14k* + R - 49.2k
* long rides & races only
4 comments:
Yay for listening to your body!
Easy to overestimate our food requirements. I have been quite suprised at how little I need to eat to keep up energy and lose weight and Steve doesn't eat that much considering the training levels he does.
What an interesting site. Hard to find things like fruit and vegetables but it's American I spose. Did you add "self care" activities like eating, dressing (seated or unseated) etc?
Jen,
You are doing some great training. I am strating to get a little interested in the strength training you are doing. Will have to catch up about that next time I see you.
Your training is going awesome which is great to see.
Keep it up.
with such good training, no wonder you got a PB!!!!! Nothing like some lightning to entice you go a little faster!! (Sorry we couldn't stay for you both. )
ntr and mouse
Post a Comment