Sunday, May 16, 2010

2/15

What a week. Work is stepping up another gear. I've worked until after 10pm twice this week - though thankfully it was from the comfort of my jarmies at my desk at home. The project is at a stage where I am able to take advantage of some flexibility by working from home a couple of mornings each week meaning I've still been able to squeeze some training in...

Mon: rest. Missed swim squad due to work :-(

Tue: after working until 10.30pm last night (after starting at 8.30am), I not only struggled to get out of bed but with the motivation to go to the gym. But I made it. Now a bit of a confession; I've been doing some sekrit training I have on occasion alluded to in this blog. Yes, I've been running. Well, if you can call doing 3 x 4mins + 3mins (15min in total) at a pace only a touch faster than snails pace 'running' with 90s walk recovery. Short strength / pilates session afterwards.

Wed: 65mins bike on the windtrainer before work (including 3 x 10min at low cadence to simulate hill climbing). The garage is getting colder every week. 26.4km. Av. 24.4k/h

Thu: 2.6km swim in the coldest water I have ever swum in with or without a wetsuit. The heater in the (indoor) pool at work is busted at the moment. It was so cold I didn't warm up at all, even after an 800m TT. I couldn't feel my fingers for about an hour afterwards. Good practice for a May HIM me thinks ;-)

Fri: 45mins pilates with Carly & a physio visit with Stewart (who the physio I saw before I started pilates with Carly) as my shoulder has been a bit funky lately.

Sat: I was due to do my long ride (3.5 hours) today but was so tired, no exhausted, on Friday nights that I swapped my rides & planned to do my shorter ride on Saturday. A good decision confirmed by the fact that I slept for 10 hours on Friday night. Woke up feeling alive & vibrant for the first time in weeks. I need to look after myself a bit better through this difficult period at work which I think will mean a bit more sleep & riding a bit later in the mornings on the weekend during my shorter ride days.

It was the decadent hour of 9am by the time we headed out for our ride AND it was positively warm; oh happy days :-) My programmed 90mins ("midweek" long) ride turned in 85mins due to a 5mins tail-wind induced, negative split on the return journey home. Nice :-) Then spent the rest of the day at my desk at home working followed by the Golden PIS awards :=D 33.7k. Av. 23.8k/h

Sun: a big, but enjoyable, day. With a 3.5 hour long ride on the program, I headed out on another 'chick's ride with some girls from PIS out & back along the Northern Rd to Harrington Park with a short out & back along Greendale to make up some additional time. An enjoyable day on a beautiful still day. Finished with 86km; my longest ride ever!

After a quick shower & feed, R & I headed to Manly to meet TA & Gnome for an ocean swim. The ocean was incredibly flat & clear; perfect conditions for an enjoyable swim of about 1.5km which was followed up with coffee, food & catch-up. Lovely to see you both. 30mins pilates this evening.

Recovery week ahead - yippee! - if only I could get a recovery week from work!

MTD:
Swim: 6.6km
Bike: 283.3

2 comments:

miners said...

are you SURE it was the ocean? Our ocean was big and white-horsey up our way!

congrats on getting that ride in too :)

Ewen said...

Those are still some big bad work hours. I don't know how you do it!

Ah, aren't there sharks in the ocean?