I have itchy feet. Always happens this time of year; it's climbing season in the northern hemisphere. I received word over the weekend that my guide on my Mera/Island Peak climb in Nepal 2 years ago summitted Everest for the first time last week. And my tent buddy from Aconcagua last year flew out during the week for Alaska to climb Denali (aka Mt McKinley). Bar humbug.
Another huge week & thankfully a recovery week - for the training atleast.
Mon: arrived at the gym just before it opened at 5.30am for a lil run; only 3 x 4mins run w/90s walk recovery this time as my legs were feeling fatigued from yesterday's effort . Finished up with 30mins of pilates.
After work, it was off to swim squad. 2.9km in the pool. I felt pretty good during this session, despite the fact I was backing up from Sunday's (short) open water swim.
Tue: 30min pilates, otherwise rest.
Wed: 45min pilates session with Carly and a much needed massage.
Thu: headed to the gym before work for another run (!) - this time 3 x 5mins w/ 90sec walk recovery. I am looking forward to the day when it all comes today & I have a run that is comfortable. Because at the moment, it is simply hard work. Followed by a short strength / core workout.
Fri: 30mins pilates, otherwise rest.
Sat: dragged myself out of bed early-ish & headed outside for a run; my first run on the road on this comeback. Luckily I know that one day (hopefully in the not too distant future) it will be comfortable running again because at the moment it's hard, uncomfortable & being able to run 10k let alone 21k seems so far away. work. 3 x 5mins w/60sec walk recovery.
Sun: A flying visit to Canberra - down Sat afternoon, back Sunday lunch (sorry to our friends who we weren't able to catch up with) - meant a cold long ride for me this morning. This ride almost didn't happen when R, who put 3 x bikes onto the roof racks, only brought 1 front wheel. Doh. Mini Mango's wheel came to Canberra with us; both R's & my front wheel remained in the garage. Opps. Mini Mango has already decided it was cold too to ride so I commandeered her front wheel for my ride .
I took (largely) the same course I last did about 6 months ago; an hour out & back from Gordon to the Tidbinbilla Tracking Station = hilly. Then 15min on the (flat) bike paths to Tuggeranong to meet R for a coffee before riding home. I was interested to see how my speed and fitness had improved over the same course in the last 6 months. Not much was the answer. HR peaked to about the same HR on the same tough hill it did in December & I only made it about an extra 1km down the road before my hour was up & I had to turn around. This weekend has not been one for boosting my confidence. Thankfully the coffee was good & Ma Mango's cooked breakfast when I got home was tops. 53.9k. 2Hr 30min. Av. 21.1k/h
MTD:
Swim: 9.5k
Bike: 337.2k
1 comment:
Sorry we missed you :(
There was a cycling death on that Tharwa loop a few weeks back. Take care out there. Way too cold for cycling if you ask me!
Post a Comment