Friday, March 03, 2006

The long awaited update !

OMG, I can't believe it's been 10 days since I last updated. Don't ya hate it when life gets in the way. Anyhoo instead of boring y'all (and me for that matter) to tears, I'll keep this brief.

I'm not even going to bother doing a recap for the month of February. Let's just write that month off - put it this way, I didn't get into the pool once in the month of February! Lucky I'm not one of those silly triathletes eh? *kidding*

The rest of last week (Wed 1 - Sun 5) was marked, quite simply, by chaos. I had Friday off work so in an attempt to cram 6 days work into 4 (not to mention having to leave the office at 7pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights because of various birthday & in-law dinners), I skipped both a planned session with Satan on Wednesday night and a walk on Thursday morning in favour of spending the extra time in the office.

I was however lucky enough to spend last weekend on a property on the beautiful south coast of New South Wales with no TV, radio or mobile phone reception. Ok, so having an encounter (my first ever!) with a leech wasn't so lucky, but that's life I suppose. It was quite simply bliss (the no-technology part; not the leech...) and a much needed break from the madness. I took my camera but, alas, forgot to pack either my spare batteries or my battery charger. D'oh.

This week has been no less crazy but I have (so far) managed to squeeze 4 sessions in. Very little in light of what I was doing late last year but more than I've done in a long time.

Monday was an upper body & abs circuit with Satan - a particularly nasty one too; I was still sore around the shoulders on Wednesday night which was very unusual. From what I remember (writing this 4 days later) the session included:
* assisted chin ups;
* bent-over reserve flyes;
* prone hold balancing my toes on a swiss ball;
* seated military press;
* some other ab/core exercise I've since forgotten,
repeated 3 times.

Finished with 15mins on the elliptical machine. Oh man, I'm unfit! No complaints from The Problem Child (TPC aka my knee/ITB) either!

Tuesday - 45mins walk around the 'hood. A relatively flat course with a few (small) inclines. Still no complaints from TPC.

Wednesday was, thanks to work, a rest day. Between a 4 hour seminar in the morning and a 2 1/2 seminar at night, I needed to spend the rest of my waking hours in the office :-(

Thursday - I wasn't able to get an appointment to see Satan today so, with fingers crossed, I took myself off for a lower body session at the gym - circuited consisted of:
* 45 degree (incline) leg press;
* hamstring curls on the swiss ball;
* lunges with the backfoot on a bench;
* prone hold with toes balancing on the swiss ball (60sec) immediately followed by prone hold on knees (60sec),
repeated twice.

For fear of upsetting TPC too much, I skipped the elliptical machine and went home and did all my stretches while watching Lost. Happy to say TPC behaved itself magnificently :-)

Today - Friday - has been a great day. A 40min walk this morning on the same course as Tuesday, a productive day in the office and (the best news of all) I've found my running mojo in a pair of Mizano's at lunchtime. I've been feeling very flat so far as my running is concerned lately (as you could probably tell). I'm almost shamed to admit it but reading about the successes of my friends in particular has been getting me down (while I'm v. happy for them, I feel only more frustrated about my own position). However as a very dear friend reminded me this week, you only get one shot at things so I decided to pull my finger out and get back on the road.

First stop was for a new pair of shoes because my old running shoes (which I've been wearing on my walks and to the gym over the last few months) are well and truly dead. I know I should only wear them running but hey, it's now been 4 months since I did much of that! I found my mojo the minute I walked into the shop. I feel excited about the prospect of running; it's been a long time since I felt that way :-) You gotta love retail therapy!

Alas, they aren't red - instead racing orange (and yes, I'm wearing them as I type!) They look like very fast shoes to me - I think they and TPC are going to have a long and loving relationship:



Interesting the dude in the shop suggested that my old Brooks Trance may have been a bit too much support when combined with my orthotics. Who knows but RIP Trance. Vive la Mizuno :-)


How cool are the heels?

Tomorrow - Saturday - will be another rest day. I'll be doing wedding organising 'stuff' tomorrow morning down at our reception venue, spending a couple of hours in the office tomorrow afternoon and then a(nother) birthday dinner for a friend tomorrow night. Sunday however my new babies and I will be spending a little time at a local oval together. Stay tuned. I'm back baby!

10 comments:

TA and the Gnome said...

Get those shoes off! They're running shoes, not typing shoes! Sheesh...

I'm glad you're back. By Sunday night after that run, you'll be back for good :-)

Gnome

strewth said...

Welcome back Jen. Great to read your update and I love those shoes - they definitely look like they'll make you run fast - amazing what retail therapy can do! Stay hooked on that feeling - I've missed reading your blog.

Superflake said...

Glad to have you back Jen. I had Mizuno's once now confined to boat anchor status. Nike's again for me.

Anonymous said...

You and those shoes are going to BLAZE the trails! I completely understand the feeling of disappointment and when you read or hear of others getting over their injuries and having these fantastic runs - it's hard to be excited about it. Remember that you will come back stronger because you had the will and discipline to allow this injury completely heal! Welcome Back Jen!

Hilda said...

Hi Jen!
Is good to hear from you again.
If your life is very hectic don't worry to much about visiting, but keep posting.

Everyday we have new chances. Easier days will come, so you will be able to go back running.

Cirque said...

I know I've already told you this, but I'm really happy and excited for you. I'm sure those magic shoes will do the trick.

Lulu said...

I'm very, very pleased to hear you've found your running Mojo. Don't know what it was doing over here in the Eastern Suburbs but I'm glad you've found it. I'm sure you will soon be flying around in those very fast looking shoes.. What out worlds; here she comes :)

I was told too about having a neutral shoe and let the orthotics do the work rather than the shoe. HOpefully it will be the right combination and the PC will leave home and never return.

Clairie said...

oh what Sexy shoes....are they Wave Creations? I had them for my speedwork and they are the absolute best. Even Pat Carroll suggested getting them (not sure what model) for my marathon.

So you got the good stuff...now just need to repair and come back to running!!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Ooohh...pretty shoes...

And welcome back! I know - I hate when life gets in the way of blogging!

Aki said...

Yay Jen!