Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Livestrong

Life has been a rollercoaster, both personally and professionally, over the last week or so.

My trip to the Gold Coast for the GCM was fantastic. Was that really only 10 days ago? Thanks so much to Cirque for her company, advice, transportation to and from the airport & alcohol. Someone remind me to drink less wine & get more sleep next year ;-) It was lovely to catch up with so many people and cheer on all my friends. Congrats to Go Girl in particular for running a sensational debut marathon in 3.44 I think. Must have been the hat ;-) I will write a "cheering" report at some stage but today is not the day.

Professionally work is horrendous with several partners in our team on leave at the moment. Even my usually unflappable, calm & relaxed boss asked me the day if I realised just how bad work was going to be over the next few weeks ("murder" was actually the word he used). Looking forward to it. Not.

My training has been going well – let’s see:

Saturday 1 July
An easy 3.66kms (aver pace 6:35min/km) up & down the beach near our hotel at the Gold Coast. My tib-ants were still rather unhappy after W2G the week before

Wednesday 5 July
AM: 5.98kms near home in 37:24mins (aver pace 6:15mins/km). Let’s see – I rolled my ankle, broke the zipper on my jacket & pulled up earlier than the 40mins I had planned because I felt like I was about to throw my non-existent stomach contents up. Apart from that, my tib-ants were fine & there were no niggles.
PM: a (largely) upper body session with Satan. Really bloody tough.

Friday 7 July
I decided I pull my finger out & spend some quality time on the hills near home. Did 5.61kms near home in 37:23mins (aver pace 6:39min/km). Included one rep up & down what is now called “Jen’s Hill” which has a nasty elevation gain of close to 100m in just under a km. A surprising session given how little I’d eaten this week & how little hill work I’ve done, I felt pretty good – but needless to say, I’ve got lots of work to do before W2B

Sunday 9 July
Home to my folks place at Penriff for some TLC. Headed out Sunday morning with the plan of doing 18kms but ended up doing 19.63kms in 2:15:12 (aver pace 6:53min/kms). My longest run by myself to date. A pretty good run; very easy from a cardio perspective. Unfortunately my hip right started playing up at the 11kms mark. But I managed to ignore it for the last 15kms of W2G so I’m sure I can ignore it for another 7 weeks ;-)

Monday 10 July
An easy/recovery 3.5kms in 25mins (aver pace 7:11min/kms) around the very soggy oval near home this morning. Still ignoring my hip.

MTD: 38.40kms

In other (personal) news, Mr Jen_runs & I broke up last week. Thanks to the PG for their unconditional love & support - you guys rock. And yes 2P, my chin is fine ;-)

15 comments:

miners said...

you keep taking care of that hip now Jen (and how bad do I now feel about all those hip jokes up at GC btw)

absolutely fantastic effort on the weekend! And I'm sure you're allowed to call your Hunter race an official half this time around :)

miners said...

btw - you still haven't explained teh "." blog title?

Lulu said...

Live strong is right. Good to see the running is on track. That's the main thing :)Chocolate tomorrow..I'm excited.

Ellie80 said...

((((J))))

take care of yourself miss!!

(and nice running!) :)

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen, earlier this year my 16 year old printed this quote out for me.

'Tough situations go away but tough people stay'.

Our love and prayers are with you.

TA

Cirque said...

Keep Living Strong, pet.

This too shall pass.

And yes, the support IS unconditional.

PortRunr said...

That was a good solo run on the weekend. Sorry to hear it's an otherwise difficult time for you Jen. Hope you're feeling ok and things improve on all fronts for you very soon. Take care :)

2P said...

Good to see the training goind so well Jen - not long to W2B - look after that hip (hehe and your chin)

;-)

Clairie said...

Jen......that's terrible news.

*big hugs*

thanks for sharing with us and I hope you get back the support and friendship our running community is famous for and that you are usually on the giving end of!!

Perhaps it's permanent, perhaps it's not but whatever, just know that you have friends in us and a room in any state of the country whenever you need it. Don't come to Brisbane though - we'll all end up fighting over you!

Wobbly man said...

Thick and thin mate! TA has already said what needed to be said.

Horrie said...

Sorry to hear about the personal problems Jen. I know you will stay strong as you are one tough girl.

Sparkie said...

Told you you should done the anthropology course instead - when was the last time you heard of an anthropologist snowed under by work!

Keep your running near the top of your priorities - it's got me through some tough times...

Dave said...

Wow Jen, that is a roller coaster!

Hang tough, don't let that work bury you and make sure you get out for a head clearing run when you can.

You've got heaps of support around here to tap into, just an email or phone call away.

Superflake said...

Sorry to hear about you and Mr Jen_Runs. Keep up the great running phase you are going through now and don't get yourself injured again. I had some chocolate for you!!

Hilda said...

Hope you survive this weeks, combining them with training, the good part of life shouldn´t be taken apart :D