Sunday, September 17, 2006

Having fun & looking good !

Had a lovely & relaxing Saturday. A rest day. Thank goodness. A relaxing morning laying around the house reading the papers before heading to the bike shop for a bit of a fine tune for my nameless bike - the stem has been shortened slightly & (most importantly) a woman's seat is now installed. My butt is extremely thankful.

This morning I crawled out of bed at the respectable time of 5.30am after getting a text message reminding me that I was running today ;-) One of the benefits of doing a race that starts at 8am.

I got to the start just before 7am with friends from work who I had bumped into on the bus. After watching the marathon start, I walked down to Luna Park to use the toilets. Wise move. The queues for the toilets at this stage were incredible. Back onto the grass near the start I found my 'pacee' Lulu together with Sparkie & Beki. A few weeks ago when I expressed apathy about running this event, Lulu suggested that I run it with her. I'm really glad I did.

Lulu didn't want to worry about pace today & so had left her Garmin at home. My instructions, as pacer, were simply to make sure we didn't go out too hard - ie under 6min/km pace. This resulted in me amusing myself to no end in ways to advise Lulu that she was flying (think of the beeping of a reversing truck & you've got the idea). I have to say that I run or walk across the Harbour Bridge pretty regularly but I still get a kick of running straight down the middle of it.



Needless to say I enjoyed seeing the cheersquad - thanks to Rags for this somewhat embarrassing photo!



Our splits for the first 5kms show that Lulu was running much stronger than I think she anticipated:

6:14
5:59
5:46
6:14
5:47

Needless to say, this pacer needs to work on her consistency.

Just before the 5km mark, I declared that I just HAD to make a toilet stop. Which is when the fun began. Lulu continued on & set me the goal of trying to catch her. I headed into the toilet block & found myself in a queue behind 5 or 6 girls. Yikes. About 2mins later, I was back on the road & the fun began. My ducking, weaving & sidestepping skills normally used at C2S came in handy & I flew up Art Gallery Road. It was actually good to have Lulu to chase. I HATE Art Gallery Road - without knowing my 'rabbit' was ahead of me, I think I would have settled in for a leisurely finish.

Getting to the top of Macquarie Street, I had just about given up hope of catching Lulu. But with just under a a km to go, I spotted Lulu's golden hair reflecting in the sunlight & about 30sec later was on her shoulder. I think I scared her when I suddenly said 'hello'.

Lulu ran strongly to the end to finish in 53:34mins (aver 5:54min/km). I'm pretty pleased with the last 3kms - I was pushing it trying to catch Lulu. And did I mention that I HATE Art Gallery Rd ?

7:41 (pit stop)
5:16
5:29
4:47

Most importantly Lulu & I achieved our goal for the day: to have fun & not break anything while looking glamorous :-)

After collecting my bag - which took about 4mins compared to 45mins last year - I headed up to join the ever growing cheersquad on the Cahill Expressway to cheer the marathon runners in. Blue Dog's great run 2 weeks after doing GH (100miles) & Uncle Dave's great run - and celebratory dance - were a particular highlight. Afterwards, it was off to the Orient for a cleansing ale & food with a great group of cool runners :-)

Thanks to Lulu for your company & for making it soooo much more fun !

Edit - and the results are in:
Gun time: 1:02:19
Net time: 53:36
797 in my catagory, LOL!

MTD: 54kms

This week - not a bad week of training for me, though I didn't quite do as much strength work as I wanted to:
3 x runs (total 21.18kms)
2 x rides
1 x GRC Pilates class
1 x weights session with Satan

The week ahead - no idea. Will see how my legs feel in the morning. Besides I've left my diary at work. Will update tomorrow.

12 comments:

Lulu said...

Thanks, my personal pacer. I'm sure we looked very glam at the end;)

Looking forward to many more runs together.

strewth said...

Well done on what sounds like a fun day and an exciting run especially catching Lulu after that loo break. It's always fun to have a goal and you both achieved it today especially the staying glamorous part I'm sure - yay!

Gronk said...

Nice one Jen. Gee you came home strong !

Ellie80 said...

hello!! congrats on great run my dear. thanks also for introducing me to your 'dealer' at the bike shop... much to think about :)

and thanks all round for your company this weekend - cheering, biking, eating - its been lovely!

2P said...

Woohooo nice work Jen - fantastic finish ;-)

miners said...

Great run and great fun Jen. So glad the two of you had such a great time out there :)

Anonymous said...

Great run from you and Lulu :-)

Lovely to meet you and hopefully see you at another run soon (if not before the Central Coast Half)

Beki

Tesso said...

Fantastic stuff Jen. And what a terrific finishing km!

Sounds like you girls had a ball out there. Days like that are what make this whole running caper worthwhile.

PortRunr said...

Good chase at the end there, and great to hear that you had a wonderful weekend.

Don Juan said...

It is important to look glam and run well in that order. It works for me.

Your pacing was pretty good with the hills factored in.

Ewen said...

Good catch of Lulu Jen.

797th! That must be a tough category.

Chelle said...

Trying not to be so slack with blogging, but my life seems to be getting in the way of that at the moment... anyway, sorry we didnt catch up in Sydney, but well done for your great run!