Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A new approach

Thanks everyone for your advice & support. I really appreciate - and Dave is right; there are other things going on in my life right now...

Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Owly reminded me of this quote at lunch the other day. It seems particularly relevant for me, in a number of respects, right now.

First of all, my last blog post didn't really reflect my mental state at the time I wrote it. The night before I made a final decision about my 'sea change' and had started telling my nearest & dearest on Friday. This is an exciting, albeit scary, time for me so it was only in respect of my running that I was feeling 'blahish'. As for the exact nature of my 'sea change', it's a secret for the time being but stay tuned - all will be revealed when the time is nigh...

I’ve done no exercise over the last few days thanks to a combination of malaise, general tiredness despite getting loads of sleep & a bit of a sore throat.

As for my running & my problematic lower legs, after an appointment on Monday I have a few approach. I won't bore you all with the details but it involves new shoes, (another) strengthening exercise and (interestingly) less running on grass & more on harder surfaces. This ‘new approach' will take (more) patience & persistence as I need to reduce my mileage a bit (again) and s-l-o-w-l-y build up while my body grows stronger & makes the necessary adjustments. For this reason, I’ve deleted my ‘race calender’ from my blog. I have a few events in mind which I may or may not still do. But that’s ok – I’m feeling excited & hopeful that we are now on the right track so that by the time the new year arrives, I'll be flying. Finally.

Thanks ET - I owe you a beer - or red Gatorade ;-)

8 comments:

Gronk said...

OK, keep OFF the soft surfaces ? Is that because grass is uneven and causes the foot to roll etc ?

Looking forward to the news on the SC Jen.

Dave said...

Oooh, thats not fair tantalising us with a big secret!!!

A sea change sounds exciting, I wonder if you might meet a diver Dan type as part of your sea change....

I reckon the hyped up 10/20 event currently on CR could be right up your alley :)

miners said...

Hey - bring on the neutral shoes! I'm excited about that over everything else (except your sea change secret), because only the best of us run neutral ;)

Don Juan said...

More secrets than the Da Vinci Code. Good luck with the changes.

As I type we have 16 crytologists pouring over clues in your blog.

Cirque said...

Wobs and I were debating what to call your 'change'. Not a sea change or a tree change. A scree change perhaps?

Anonymous said...

You've been through this rebuilding stage and came out ok the last time. I'm confident you'll do fine again this time. Your attitude is great. I'm looking forward to your news...

2P said...

I'm with miners ;-)

PortRunr said...

Hey Jen, hope you've rested up ok and are settling into the new regime well and it brings good results for you. Does this mean your Sydney to 'Gong ride is wiped as well?!