Friday, February 22, 2008

"Wow! You're looking fit"

Comm's, it won't be the tower that's buzzed if the next few weeks are anything like this one ;-)

I'm trying to lose a few kgs at the moment. I was having a fat day this morning after getting on the scales for my weekly weigh in.* I know eating dinner less than an hour before you get into bed 3 nights each week is not ideal but there isn't much I can do right now I'm afraid. Not happy Jan.

Anyhoo later this morning I went in to see my physio for my first check up in 3 months. And that (ie the title of this post) is what he said to me after I had changed into my shorts & crop top. And it was obviously a genuine - and somewhat surprised, response. I love my physio. In a purely platonic, expressing-an-appreciation-for-your-health-care-provider kind of way. He made my day.

Anyway after much poking & prodding, he concluded that despite everything I have been doing, my glute meds still are very lazy buggers who would much rather leave the hard work to the other muscles in my hips/butt/legs etc. So I now have a few (more) daily exercises to isolate them. I'm also going back to see him on Thursday to try something in the hope it will get them to activate during my strength session. Interestingly he commented that he doesn't know if what he is planning has been used on "athletes" before but apparently it has produced great results in - wait for it - stroke patients. I kid you not. Ellie, Owly & Lulu won't be surprised to learn that it involves the application of tape :-) Should be interesting...

* and before anyone says it, please no lectures on the reasons why weight fluctuates

5 comments:

Ewen said...

I strained my eyes trying to read that small type!

My weight fluctuates negatively if I drink too much coke ;) It fluctuates positively when I do speedwork or faster running - must burn more calories.

Fe-lady said...

Precisely why I don't have a scale anymore...it's been MANY years...

Would be interested to know what exercises isolates the medial glute muscles...let us know!

About the donation thing...if you want you can send me your address and I can send you a snail-mail form-maybe that would work.

Here is the woman's e-mail address that initially contacted me about this Operation Rebound...maybe she has some answers for you! Thanks for thinking of our soldiers and trying, at least, to donate! Good luck!


helen@nasports.com

Becky O said...

Oh, do you see "The Strapper" as well? I recently sent a male friend there and he got strapped too, so no discrimination ;)

Lulu said...

He is a lovely physio!! I hope the new taping technique does the trick. Thanks for chasing me up.. I am still alive, just can't keep up with everything/one at the moment.

Tesso said...

I totally agree with your physio!

Re the weight & scales thing I reckon the best use for them at the moment (ie summer) is to help monitor your hydrationn level. I tested myself on a very easy 8k run the other morning and found I lost half a kg in sweat!