Sunday, February 03, 2008

My kingdom for a surf ski...

Friday
AM - 40min spin on Betty in front of the telly.

Saturday
Rest :-)

Sunday
AM - Trishave All Women's Triathlon - 250m/10k/2.5k

At the Aquathon last weekend, I had a good swim & bad run. Today, it was reversed. Horrid swim. Good bike. Even better run.

I caught up with TA & Mouse (who were doing the sprint event) along with Gnome & NTR not long before the briefing for my race. It was wonderful to be able to spend the day with them all - and thanks so much for the cheering & sideline coaching!

The swim was easily 50m longer than the (enticer) club race I did early last month. Did I mention the swim was horrid? I have no idea why. But it was horrid. I'm not asthmatic but I can begin to imagine what those suffering asthma go through. Half way in the swim, I was treading water, my breathing producing a sound which resembled a death rattle & I was looking around for a surf ski. There were no surf skis to be seen so I just thought "suck it up princess" & tried to get on with it. I have no idea what happened. Last week's swim was more congested. Dunno. So much for last week's confidence boosting swim...

Anyhoo, needless to say that I was happy to be out of the water & onto the bike. My bike leg was good. I just focused on keeping my cadence up & managed to spend alot of time in a higher gear (at a high cadence) than I did during my last race. I also passed a few people :-)



Coming out of T2, I took off after 'high fiving' Mouse & NTR, immediately passing someone. Over the grassy knoll & by the time I was in front of the grandstand, I was thinking that my speedy start was a bad idea - as evidenced by this photo!


Having said that, it was my cardio fitness that was letting me down. My legs actually felt good - for the first time, I didn't have the dreaded dead/jelly leg sensation. And before anyone asks, yes I worked hard on the bike. Maybe the strength training is starting to pay off?



Apart from my lungs screaming at me, I enjoyed the run - and not just because I managed to pick a few more people off :-) As a back-of-the-packer and normally the 'passee' and not the 'passer', I don't often pass people so I have to admit that I enjoyed doing it today (*she blushes*). I forgot to stop my watch - again - but suspect my time was 43:xx and - notwithstanding the longer swim - a new Enticer PB :-)

Ian & Gnome quickly arrived to congratulate me. Gnome gave me a lovely compliment -he said words to the effect of 'yes, you certainly are a runner' :-) It was lovely to be reminded of that after doing so little running over the last 7 months.

I spent the rest of the morning hanging out with Gnome & NTR whilst cheering on Mouse, Coach TA & Wildthing, all of whom had great races. Congrats girls !

I was somewhat ambivalent about the race but I'm now glad I did it. Not only did I get to spend the morning with some of my favourite people, I learn something new every time I do this caper. Now if I could only work out the reason for my crap swims & I'll be motoring :-)

Results to come. I hope.

Edit: the results are in !

S: 6:16 - not too bad given it includes my asthma/panic attack
B: 24:32 - not bad given it includes both T1 & T2
R: 12:35 - assuming the course was accurate (a big assumption I know) -5.02min/k pace - OMG, no wonder that hurt. For me, that's absolutely smokin' :-)

Total: 43:23 meaning a 28 sec PB :-)

Placing:
Out of the water - 63/124. Finished - 36 / 124! Nice :-)

Photos courtesy of Gnome (c) 2008

12 comments:

Hamburglar said...

Congrats on another good race Jen.

undercover brother said...

results are up.
well done.
the swim split was ok!

Gronk said...

Congrats on a great race Jen !

Tesso said...

On ya Jen!

How good is that, passing people on the run :-) Seems this triathlon stuff is fast becoming your forte.

Zodelicious said...

Great report Jen. I know what you mean about passing people - always a nice surprise.

Rags said...

Go Jen great race, a mighty fine result.

Samurai Running said...

You make those Tris look tempting Jen. Don't tell anyone but I'd like to give one a go someday.

I haven't passed many people but I did once pass a small dog and I don't even remember eating it.

Boom Boom ;)

Fe-lady said...

Congrats on your solid times and strong finish! It's fun to pass people on the bike isn't it??? (Of course lately I don't....but I remember the good old days!)

Unknown said...

Woohoo! have to admit that I'm getting lazy about contacting you for times as TA sends them to me *blushes* sorry!!!

I disagree with Scott...they don't seem tempting at all. I think you are barmy. But then I always like people a little on the mad side ;-)

Dave said...

I agree the swim leg sucks but from then on it is all good!

Sounds like you are picking up form, especially as a passer!!

strewth said...

Hey Jen, congratulations. What a fantastic result. Your times are terrific, especially that run - woo hoo! All that training is paying off. Looking forward to catching up with you in Canberra soon. xx

Ewen said...

Don't bother Scott. Your long suffering wife has told me you swim like a black fish ;)