Monday, March 31, 2008

One door closes....

Saturday
AM: 35mins trail run (5.64k)
Back to the Oaks Fire Trail for a shorter run this week as the recovery week continues. Nice :-)

PM: 1k swim with flippers. I love recovery weeks.

The day finished with a lovely dinner with Mouse & NTR - thanks for coming. It was great to catch up with you both again!

Sunday
AM: 90mins MTB ride (19.74k)
Headed back to the National Park at Glenbrook to play on the MTB again. Rode along the Oaks Fire Trail & then down the Nepean Lookout trail (what a view!). Turned around & headed back; the climb past Machins Crater is probably the steepest MTBing I've done so far - and the surface was dodgy; no idea how I managed to get up there unscathed. Back to the car via the single track where I had a small spill; that will teach me for not picking my line before heading over a small drop-off! Thankfully a patch of dirt & some soft bushes caught me so I rode away with hardly a scratch :-)

Monday
(Unscheduled) rest day. Had to cancel my PT session because of work & left work too late to make it up.

And that brings March to an end. Another good month of training. A few tight spots here & there which quickly settled after some extra TLC. It also saw another tri PB & a return to trail running :-D

Jan: S - 8.65k B - 71.32k* R - 26.6k
Feb: S - 10.9k B - 114k* R - 49.2k
Mar: S - 8.75k B - 101.88k* R - 68.19k

* long rides & races only

As my tri season is now over, April will also see a significant shift in focus of my training, away from triathlon & towards getting ready to climb mountains :-)

2 more days at work then off to Port Mac. I can't begin to describe how excited I am about heading up there to watch R compete in & finish his first IM. He has worked sooo hard & had a perfect prep. One year ago today was actually the day that we had our first conversation that extended beyond 'hello'; we were standing in the expo tent on the day before last year's IM. I'm sure neither of us could possibly have imagined the capacity in which we would return to Port Mac just one short year later... :-)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a year it's been? The universe really was unfolding as it should eh ;)

Anonymous said...

Yup, life sure has it's little surprises. IM huh ? Amazing. I can't even begin to think how much that would hurt. All the best to Mango and his personal cheerleader.

Tesso said...

Gosh, who'd have thunk :)

Give Mango a huge good luck hug for me.

CJ said...

All the best to Mango though I'm sure he'll be fine on the day - he's done all the hard yards! Will be thinking of you guys.
And thanks for your well wishes. I'm trying to remain positive and fingers crossed the run tomorrow morning will go well and the physio will be very happy with me!

Bennyr said...

Ahh, Jen - you know that I can relate to that one.

It's been a bit over two years since my life changed so radically. Don't for a moment think that the radical changes have stopped. I'm still getting life changing surprises!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Just thought I would pop in and say thanks for the well wishes. It really has been an amazing year and I can't think of anyone I would have rather shared it with.

Jen is one special chicky and I am a very lucky man for having her in my life :-)

See you all on the other side of IM.

Ewen said...

Yes Mango, see you on the other side as an IM. I hope you have a blinder. Don't forget the goggles. Good luck!

Have fun Jen, and happy anniversary!

strewth said...

Best of luck Mango - hope everything goes to plan and you have a perfect day. With all that training you should be awesome. Look forward to reading all about it. Enjoy celebrating your 'first hello' Jen and have a great day as a cheer squad.

Rags said...

I often read about this unfolding universe now I understand.

You are one good looking couple, one very lucky couple...you found each other.

Heaps of good luck Mango you have worked hard for it.

Zodelicious said...

Hi Jen and Mango

Have a wonderful time at Port - hope to see you there. Mango, I reckon you are going to RIP IT UP.

undercover brother said...

go mango!
hey i saw an advert in the pallin catalogue for one of those big puffy down jackets.
it was called aconcagua.
think north face makes it.
now thats a must have jacket!!