Friday
AM - 500m open water swim at the Regatta Centre
We left home at 6am for the Panthers tri club training session at the Regatta Centre which was basically a case of "choose your own distance". A very dark & chilly morning. I really struggled to motivate myself to get out of bed but I know I need more open water practice. I was going to do 750m but 500m came out of my mouth when I was asked what distance I was doing. D'oh. Must have coffee beforehand next time.
I was a bit surprised by how dark it still was under water. It was only 6.30am so I really shouldn't be surprised. I could see my hand but not even the reeds that seem to be taking over the lake (again). Much to my surprise I settled into this swim well. I think I'm beginning to understand why I get a bit of a panic attack. I suspect that I'm going out a bit faster than the pace at which I warm up at in the pool which causes me to go a bit lactic & then my breathing gets a bit laboured. So in future I need to start out at a rather slow & sedate pace and then pick up the pace once I'm settled. Or I could just do a warm up before the race I suppose ;-) Still, I really enjoyed this session and am now looking forward to the next one - a good sign :-)
This session brought February to an end with totals of S - 10.9k + B -114k* + R - 49.2k up from S - 8.65k + B - 71.32k* + R - 26.6k in January. It only looks like I'm adopting the 100% rule but appearances can be deceiving. I have a few tight bits from time to time but things are going well. March brings my last month of triathlon training for a while before a shift in focus in April.
Saturday
AM - 68mins ride (27.55k - av. 24.2k/h)
In Canberra for the weekend. R went out for a 4hr ride and then doubled back to the house so I could join him for the last 75mins of his session - this, of course, meant that I got a big sleep in and time for a leisurely breakfast beforehand :-)
We headed back up the Barton Highway into NSW. The big climb very early in the ride certainly woke the legs up!

Very glad I packed the arm warmers. It was rather cool even at 10am in the weather. Afterwards, a huge lunch followed by a visit to KokoBlack :-)
Sunday
AM - 10mins walk + 25min run (4.04k) + 15mins walking through a display village :-)
Very easy run this morning - just turning the legs over & enjoying the beautiful clear, still Canberra weather. And the company ;-)
Lovely to catch up with CJ, Strewth & Ewen at lunch today (*waves*)
MTD: B - 27.55k + R - 4.04k
5 comments:
Sounds like a nice weekend. Did I read into a comment you made that you were planning to be at the start on Saturday before you head over to the wedding? Not long until you're up this way.
It was fantastic to catch up with you on sunday Jen and meet your delightful "Mango family" definitely passed the test!!
canberra.
brrrrrrrrrr.
cu on the weekend!
Must feel a bit creepy swimming in those conditions. Then again, hopefully its so dark the sharks can't see either :)
It was great to see you on Sunday Jen, and to meet the mysterious R and very fast runner R2.
That's the perfect way to do a bike ride - leisurely brekky first :)
Post a Comment