Monday, May 05, 2008

I coulda been a contender....

I've updated this post as the race results for the enticer I did in March have finally been released. In very exciting news, I finished 2nd in my age group :-) Woohoo! Mind you, there were only a few in my age group but still it's the first time I have ever got an AG place in my adult sporting career :-D

R & I spent the weekend at beautiful Anna Bay near Nelson Bay for the Tri Club Champs which were head on Saturday afternoon. Thanks to Mouse & NTR for their hospitality; it was a fun & laughter filled weekend!

On Saturday morning, as R, Mouse & NTR left to ride to the start at One Mile Beach, I headed out on my 60mins long run around Anna Bay, then up the hill at Boat Harbour & finally down to the start at One Mile Beach.

I always thought that injuries were the best teacher of patience. I now know that is not the case; HR training is. I find it sooooo frustrating. I seem to be getting slower with each run. Despite the incredibly sluggish pace, my HR seemed a bit higher than normal - perhaps I was a bit tired. I had to stop & walk sooo many times - that is at least until I got to where the race competitors were parking their cars, assembling their bikes etc when pride prevented me from stopping to walk :-) Anyhoo apart from the incredible scenery, this run was pretty crap. Finished with 60mins - 8.08k - av. 7:27m/k (WTF) - av. 144BPM

Spectating at this race was fun. The atmosphere on the sidelines was good; a bit louder than a normal race where most people only support 'their' competitor. Congrats to R, Mouse & NTR who each had a great race. It looked like a really enjoyable course; I'm looking forward to doing it myself - one day :-) After the race, the obligatory post-race chat & admiring Miners' signed wheel, we walked the 3.3k back to the house at Anna Beach - which exercise should have taken care of the sausage sandwich & chocolate muffin I had while watching the race ;-)

Sunday morning R kindly joined me for my 3 hour & 14kg pack hike along Stockton Beach.



Given the absence of sufficient trails around the area, I decided to head to the beach which is a perfect surface to replicate what it is like to walk on snow. In total we did 2:55, about 2:30 of which was spent on a mixture of firm & soft sand near the waters edge on Stockton Beach. Thankfully R's company kept my mind off my legs; it was hard work. It looks like I've worked out my nutritional requirements. I took in 1 x Be Natural honey nut trail mix bar (yum!) and a GU & felt good the whole time. Ultimately we covered 12.7k (av 115BPM) and finished the morning breakfast at Birubi Beach overlooking Stockton Beach with Mouse & NTR. Nice :-)



My legs feel good today - a bit tired but no soreness which is very surprising. Rest day today :-)

MTD: H - 12.7k* + R - 8.08k

5 comments:

Superflake said...

Well done on the podium Jen. Look out for 4wd's on stockton beach.

Samurai Running said...

"the beach which is a perfect surface to replicate what it is like to walk on snow."

If you say so Jen. Well at least now I know what to feed you for breakfast if we run out of cereal. I'll just rip up the box and add some milk, same thing for you, right ;)

Well done with the AG placing, you must be stoked.

Tesso said...

Congrats on the 2nd placing Jen!

Sounds like some serious training going on for your big hike. A 14k pack - yikes!

Ewen said...

Second place! You're becoming too good. I fear you'll never return from the dark side.

Glad R has recovered well from the IM, and is back racing again.

Hope to see you both at Bush Capital :)

Zodelicious said...

Hi Jen
Nelson Bay is so lovely hey. That hike on the beach sounds punishing!

Last weekend my long run was from Nelson Bay, out to and up Tomaree Headland, down to Fingal Bay then back to Nelson Bay and the 10k was the other way - out and back along the beaches towards the resort. It was greeeeat running.