Thursday, June 12, 2008

K2Caves

Wow. What an incredible weekend!

Last Thursday night, the decision was made not to do K2K for safety reasons as we couldn't be sure of the heights of Coxs River. So Plan B was to do an overnight out & back to Dexs Creek (via Mt Cloudmaker) with Monday spent roaming the trails around Kanangra. After meeting some
other bushwalkers on Friday night we decided to go with Plan C; an overnight out & back to 100 Man Cave which is south east of Mt Cloudmaker and, interestingly, doesn't appear on the topo. Plan D emerged on Sunday morning when we decided to spend an extra night at the cave & return to Kanangra on Monday. I was told to "expect the unexpected" and my weekend certainly turned out that way.

I can't begin to describe my incredible weekend in a concise manner - so I will simply say that I was really pleased with my ability to carry an 18kg pack for two days bush bashing & rock hopping at a fast pace over rugged terrain particularly given that I only picked up the pack about 2 months ago...






...I've slept in caves (for the first time!) with fantastic names like Dance Floor Cave and 100 Man Cave (which, of course, we decided needed to change)...


(bad photo - it was dark - but you can just see my pack - and sleeping bag - in the foreground)

....eaten Baci Kisses & had morning tea from the top of Mt Berry....





.....crossed (amongst others) the rather appropriately-named & calf-burning "Mt High & Mighty" and the wonderfully named (false) peaks of Rip, Rack, Roar and Rumble; visited the incredible 1000 Man Cave which just blew me away (unfortunately it was overcast & the photos
don't do it justice)...





...made some decisions about the future of my "athletic pursuits", spent the weekend with a group of incredibly fit, strong, generous & kind hearted women, finished the weekend with a drink & fantastic Indian dinner with the girls in Katoomba on Monday night, and pulled up incredibly well with no DOMS.





Happy happy days.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi this CR Brick,

Nice photos, looks like a great walk.
Only girls?
How many of you went on this great journey?

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great weekend. I must get out and do more hiking - particularly seeing that I have all the gear.

After much thinking I have decided to return to Nepal in October instead of visiting both Nepal and India.

Like you my heart is firmly in the mountains - more specifically the Himalayas!

Cheri

Tesso said...

Wow, what fun! The pics are great, love the dirty boots :)

I'm wondering how those caves got their names. I'm also wondering what your decisions were re athletic persuits. You must be feeling like anything is possible now.

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen! What are you doing?? You can't run in those boots... :-) :-)

Gnome

Samurai Running said...

That photo with you and the mountains in the background is really very impressive. It somehow really moved me.

Great weekend, indeed!

Zodelicious said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time Jen. I love sleeping in a cave. Hmm, that sounds funny. But I do.
I too am wondering about those decisions.

Hamburglar said...

Hey Jen, looks like you had an awesome weekend last weekend. You are definitely becoming a mountain girl.

I assume that your athletic persuits will be mainly track sprinting or something similar?

Ewen said...

Great adventure Jen - just a taste of things to come :)

Nice to see the boots broken in! Thanks for the photos.