Thursday, June 05, 2008

On the way to K2K

IMHO JD, that's the only way to live.

Gronk - my last one was pretty full so I have had to get a new one!

Ellie - I'm going to start a separate blog for my trip. I'm not sure my family & non-running friends will really understand my encounters with the Hash House Harriers ;-)

Scott - I don't watch any sitcoms, let alone a whole season of them ;-)

Gosh, I've been planning the trip for a year and it only now seems real. The trip itself is organised but I am running around like a madwomen at the moment trying to organise all the supplementary stuff - the gear requirements in particular are pretty amazing (and expensive!).

Anyway back to the training -

Monday
Much needed rest day; I was very tired, sore & run down after the weekend.

Tuesday
AM - 50min run including 2 x 10min tempo (about 6:30m/k) pace with 3mins SR - 7.01k - av. 7:00m/k - av. 149BPM.

6:30m/k was roughly the pace at which I was running before I started my great HR experiment so my tempo efforts actually felt reasonably comfortable (well, except for when I was going up hill) - in hindsight, I probably should have done them around 6m/k pace. Next time. Otherwise it felt good - and I somehow to manage to avoid the rain.

PM - much needed massage.

Wednesday
AM - easy 45mins spin watching this week's episode of Everest - Beyond the Limits 2 :-)

I had a PT session on the plan for today but cancelled it earlier in the week. I've been feeling tired & run down this week so took some extra time to try & rest & recharge the batteries before K2K this weekend. Carb load started today. I've bought the topos for the 'track' only to discover that there is actually no track from Mt Cloudmaker until after the Coxs River crossing so it looks like a bit - or a lot - of bush bashing will be the order of day 2. Kewl:-) I'm pretty nervous about whether I'm fit / strong enough - 18kg is alot of weight to carry over difficult terrain for 3 days - but I've surprised myself enough times to know that I am generally fitter & stronger than I think I am. I am however trying to avoid thinking about how "interesting" it's going to be with all the rain recently, just how high the Cox River might be - not to mention climbing up Tarros Ladder with my pack! Yes, I know I know - HTFU ;-)

Off to finish packing & to get some sleep. Wish me luck !

MTD: Bike - 56.97k* + Run - 7.01k
* long rides only

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe - I remember HHH from my old Christmas Island days - hilarious! I still remember the song they sing at the end and someone has to scull a beer (for us kids it was softdrink).

Here's to JenJen shes true blue... she's a piss pot through and through... she's a bastard so they say and she'll never get to heaven in a long long way... drink it... downdowndowndowndowndowndowndown etc :)

Zodelicious said...

Good luck on K2K Jen. I'll be hiking in the Blueys too - but not as hardcore as you. Fingers crossed for good weather!

strewth said...

Awesome, woo hoo - Jen, just visited your blog and read all your exciting news. Firstly good luck on K2K - have a fantastic adventure and I do hope the weather is kind. You have soooo much to look forward to coming up so soon. Wow, you will have an amazing time. Are we to catch up in Canberra soon? Can't wait to spend time hearing all the details. Your life is just so full - wow!

Ewen said...

Bush bashing and Cox's swimming with a bag of concrete on the back sounds good.

I'm too polite to say HTFU ;)

undercover brother said...

luck!