Monday, June 23, 2008

Packs & pancakes

Hamburgler - between 20kg & 25kg!

Another big weekend. Saturday morning I left the gates at the NP in Glenbrook at 7am for my 4 hour hike. Ultimately I cut it short to 3hrs. It was just one of those days - I was tired & still fatigued from my session with the PT on Thursday. I was ok on the flats, downhills & even walking up the hills (including the hill up from the causeway) but had absolutely nothing on steps. Zero. Zip. Nada. Just couldn't walk up steps. Both piriformus (piriformii?) are tight at the moment which didn't help. One of those days I would rather forget. I'm trying not to beat myself up too much about it as it was a bit of a tough course...



...as well as being the first time I've carried 19kg (plus water). Finished with 11.31km. I've cut a few of my long sessions short lately so this week is dedicated to being in the right condition (mentally & physically) for next Sunday's 4.5 hours with 19kg (+ water). No excuses!

R decided he would ride to - or at least in the direction of - Canberra on Saturday. One of the reasons I cut my session short as Mini Mango & I were to be his Plan B evac team. So after finishing my session & picking up the Mini Mango, we headed for Canberra, eventually collecting Mango somewhere along the way. Crazy man!

I had 75mins on the program for Sunday. Much to my surprise I discovered the Canada Run 4 Cancer (the old Terry Fox fun run) was also on; what a coincidence :-) I had decided to treat it as a training run so stuck to 80% MHR which meant a slow run (& occasional walk due to a hill / cheering / talking related HR spike) for R who decided to accompany me. Saw Strewth powering along; we both cheered for her but she was in the zone (and her iPod) and didn't hear us (*waves*). Was also great to catch up with Miss Z for a chat afterwards. It was a great morning; the scenery was just beautiful - I love Canberra!

My pace was slow - I think we were actually walking when Miss Z zoomed past us in the opposite direction! - but there were more signs that the HR training is paying dividends; the average pace for this was 7:10m/k. It is slowly but surely increasing. It was also the first time I've run 10k in almost one year (to the day). Nice. The pancake and real, fair dinkum Canadian maple syrup afterwards wasn't bad either ;-)

MTD:
Bike - 56.97k
Run - 21.31k
Hike - 53.26k + pack

5 comments:

Hamburglar said...

Fatigue is good - shows you are pushing your body to new heights.

Did Mango go down the freeway? How far did he get the crazy bugger?

And is it just me or is Miss Z everywhere?

BTW - cheesburger is about 14kg, so I understand how heavy 25kg is - wow.

strewth said...

OMG - I can't believe you were here and I missed you AGAIN! Dammit - if you waved to me i probably was all zoned out - I'm so sorry. I would have loved to give you a hug! Next time SCREAM at me LOUDLY and let me know you're here so we can catch up!! You are doing so much - it's awe inspiring.

Ewen said...

Gee, I missed seeing you and R - I didn't do Terry Fox this year. That genuine maple syrup must cost them a fortune!

Good to see the HR training paying off - takes time, that's all. Yes, he is crazy for riding down the Hume - good job with the evac team.

Zodelicious said...

Hey, I wasn't going to mention the walking thing if you didn't.:)

It was lovely to see you and Mango, albeit briefly. And thanks for the cheering, it made me smile.

strewth said...

Bush Capital weekend sounds like a plan - Ewen & CJ will be in on that coffee too I'm sure! It's funny cos I remember thinking I heard my name being called at one stage and I looked around a bit but didn't see you - I still can't believe I missed you - must be dithery in my old age!!