A strange week which has included a gambit of emotions from frustration, anger, malaise to 'stop being such a girl', acceptance, 'f*ck it, I can do this' & steely determination. Thankfully not too much ice cream was injured in the process.
Mon: rest (post-race) & ice cream at the movies with hubby :-)
Tue: 30mins walk followed by pilates (30mins). And more ice cream.
Wed: 2.8km swim at 6am in the pool at work which felt more like an ice bath than pool actually. Though I wasn't complaining after a hot night in Sydney. I felt very flat (both in energy & motivation levels) during the warm up but both improved as the session went on. By the 18 x 50m, I was flying (well, as much as I ever do). Pilates (45mins) in the PM with Carly left me with jelly legs. No ice cream.
Thu: 42min (interval) bike session on the trainer in the garage at 5am. (15.2k). No single leg drills today as I need to (slightly) decondition the anterior muscles in my hip; they are a bit too over-active. Pilates (30min) in the PM.
Fri: 1.5km open water swim in my wetsuit at the Regatta Centre at 6am. As usual, I zigged and zagged but this time remembered to spit (in my goggles).
Sat: strength session at the gym late morning. Unfortunately I probably trashed my legs a touch too much given tomorrow's ride. Another highlight of the day was date night; we went to see Katie Noonan in concert at Taronga. Thankfully the rain held off until her last number. A fantastic night enjoying a picnic & the incredible music (the songs of John Lennon & Paul McCartney performed as only she can) overlooking Sydney harbour. Oh and a custard tart in lieu of ice cream today :-)
Sun: today's program read 90mins ride "easy but on a hilly" route. Personally I don't normally associate "easy" with "hilly". Nonetheless I drove out to Wallacia & did my 90mins out & back along Greendale Road. I felt rather flat during the first 30mins probably due to a combination of fatigued legs from yesterday's session, dead road surface & dehydration. Although the road surface didn't improve, I soon came good & felt strong for the rest of the ride. I know that my strength on the bike is improving. I normally have to stand to climb the one 'steep' hill (300-400m long) but today I was actually able to stay seated the whole way up it. Month 1 of Operation Alpine is complete :-) 34.08km. 22.4k/h av. 1:30:58 More pilates later this afternoon.
At the start of the week, I was tempted to rethink my goals (as, I think, most do - rather impulsively - after a bad race). But I know better than that. I'm glad I didn't ;-)
Totals for January-
MTD:
Swim: 25.75km - my biggest month yet!
Bike: 247.7km
2 comments:
Don't worry about the bad race. We all have em. You are training well so the results will come. Guaranteed. Absolutely.
BTW - what is Operation Alpine???????
Custard tarts are my favourite on a hot day. Take the bad with the good and the big picture will turn out just fine :)
Post a Comment