Mon: 30mins pilates before work. Then 3.1km at swim squad. It was a pretty crap session largely thanks to the fact that I left all my gear at home; goggles, cap, ear plugs, paddles, fins etc. Thankfully my kick board was in the car, I 'borrowed' a pull buoy from the centre & R had a spare cap & a set of goggles which either cut off the circulation to my brain & gouged my eyes out or alternatively flooded all night. So I had to improvise during the kicking and paddle sets. Ai ai ai. Still I must say that while I don't love this session, I am enjoying it a bit more now; less talk, more swimming.
Tue: 30min pilates in the AM, otherwise a rest day.
Wed: up early as usual for my swim at the pool at work at 6am. This time it was "only" a 1.5km swim due to a mini-taper for Friday's race. Included 5 x 200m (w/ hard last 50m) off 4:20. The first one was s-l-o-w (4:12) but thankfully I got faster with each one, the last being the fastest (3:57). It took me a while to warm up I think - which is hardly a surprise given that the pool is bl**dy cold.
30mins pilates w/ Carly (my physio/pilates instructor-extraordinaire) at 2pm and in the late afternoon a 60min ride along the M7 bike path including 5 x 3min hill repeats on a gusty/windy afternoon - 22.8k / av. 22.5k/h /avHR136. I slept well.
Thu: easy strength session at the gym (including pilates) at 6am. Took it very easy due to Friday night's race & feeling a wee bit fatigued.
Fri: I was due to D(eliberately) N(ot) F(inish) my first sprint distance tri at our club race tonight by DNF'ing after the swim & bike legs. I was actually looking forward to this race. If you had told me after the Oly in Canberra 2 weeks ago that one day I would actually be looking forward to a race, I would have told you to stop dreaming ;-) But this race was a bit different; a club race held at twilight & under lights for the first time.
Unfortunately a huge thunderstorm rolled in about 15mins before the race was due to start with lightening striking not too far in the distance. So the powers-that-be made the decision to cancel the swim (I guess they didn't want to fry half of the club if the lightening hit the water) and turned the race in a (run/bike/run) duathlon. Unfortunately this resulted in my DNF becoming a DNS :-( If you had told me 2 weeks ago that I would be disappointed by that outcome, I would have told you to stop dreaming again :-) The race continued as I huddled under a tent as torrential rain fell. The race was actually called off mid-bike due to the rain & low visibility. It wasn't meant to be I guess. So that left me with a rest day & very wet feet.

Sat: rest - Coach TA had given me the option to go out for a hard ride but the rain & crappy conditions but an end to that. 'Twas lovely to catch up with Mouse & NTR over dinner (*waves*)
Sun: had a 90min undulating bike ride on the program. But once again the crappy weather intervened and I did it instead on the trainer listening to podcasts whilst staring at the garage door. Ho hum, it's done. Pilates later this afternoon. 34.4k.
And Chris, this is Operation Alpine :-D
MTD:
Swim: 4.6km
Bike: 57.2k
2 comments:
Shame about the race. They could have held the swim in the transition area!
Operation Alpine looks good. A couple of big hills down there.
Happy Birthday. Less than 3 months older than me.
Post a Comment