Sunday, August 07, 2005

Dear Buddha

Saturday 6 August

We were meeting friends for breakfast at 10am this morning so I decided to get up early and get my run in before breakfast. I walked down to Clifton Gardens to warm up then set out on the trail around to the zoo. A stunning, clear morning on the harbour. I never cease to be amazed and humbled by the beauty of our harbour. Apart from a strong head wind from the south as I rounded Bradleys Head, it was a great morning for a run. Today’s aim was 23mins and at 22.30, I realised that I was close to the end of the trail near the zoo so I picked up the pace in the hope that I would make it to the end of the trail within 23min– close but not quite: 23.08 in total (+ 40mins walk to/from the trail). Another very comfortable and easy run with no calf/shin problems whatsoever (I will ice my shins tonight just to be sure). Happy days

Sunday 7 August

Rest day.

Week in review:
In reviewing this week, I’ve just realised that I forgot to blog about Tuesdays session (opps). A good week. I felt well rested and strong!
Spin: 2
Weights sessions with Satan: 2
Run: 3
Walk: 1 (1 hour)

The week ahead:
Dear Buddha. I have been obeying the 10% rule down to the minute recently. I’ve been running on soft surfaces; stretching & strengthening my calves and shins and icing when necessary. In light of all these efforts, dear running Buddha I ask for your forgiveness this week when I will break the 10% BIG TIME ! I don’t remember the last time I ran on a hard surface so I’m a little scared as to how my shins will handle 14kms on the road (not to mention my preparation is a little lacking...understatement of the year!) – but I guess all I can do is make sure I focus on stretching my calves this week (oh, and crossing my fingers and icing my shins when I get home!!!) :

Monday: walk to work (1 hour)
Tuesday: cardio session (17mins run/15mins bike) + Pilates
Wednesday: Spin + Satan
Thursday: cardio (20mins run/15mins bike) + Satan
Friday: walk to work (1 hour)
Saturday: rest
Sunday: my first ever fun run, the City 2 Surf !

Speaking of the C2S, a question for bloggers – I’ve got the gear sorted for Sunday but what on earth do I eat beforehand ??? I don’t normally eat before a morning exercise session so I’ve got absolutely no idea….help (and your good shin thoughts) is greatly appreciated !!

5 comments:

Wobbly man said...

My pre-race and pre-log run breakfast is mashed banana on taosted white bread with honey. It needs al least an hour before a race start though. See you soon!

Cirque said...

Dear Jen's shins.
Best wishes for next week.
Love,
Cirque's shins.

You'll be fine Zen Jen.
OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

miners said...

I'm certain running-buddha is looking out for you Jen.

As for breakfast, with the 9.30 start it's a tricky one isn't it? I personally have just the same breakfast I would any morning (cereal, couple of pieces of toast), and I will have a couple of muesli bars &/or a banana in the 2 hours before the race - probably more just to keep me occupied before the start than anything else. Take a bottle of water to the start if you're getting there early.

And don't forget to bring out your worst jumper for the toss into the crowds 5 minutes before you start! Most funnest part of the race for me

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen,

You'll have been up for hours before the race starts, so I have a good solid normal breakfast before I leave home (you do have a good solid breakfast every day, don't you... :-), and then sip on a Gatorade or something like that on the trip in and during the waiting time pre race.

Works for me, although if you really are properly hydrated, then make sure that you head for the loo-queues before you head for the start (lost 6 minutes in our first year waiting in a queue at a servo half way along the route).

sfG

Ewen said...

What a fun run for your 'first ever'!

I would say don't try something you haven't already tried. You're leaving it late!

You won't be getting up 5 hours beforehand so if you want to eat, make it something light. For C2S I find a couple of bits of white bread toast with honey and a cup of strong coffee works well. Also, lots of water!