Sunday, April 23, 2006

Biker chick...

Saturday 22 April
Rest day


A rest day. Normally I’d have nothing to report but today I bought another toy :-) This, of course, now means that our wedding will be BYO plate & drink – but hey, the bride will be fit ;-)

I met Go Girl, Go Husband & The Owl at the Grace Hotel in the city at 10.30am for brunch before heading off to Clarence Street Cyclery for a shopping expedition. Over 2 hours later, I emerged the proud owner of ANOTHER redhead ;-)



Isn't she beautiful?

She’s a Trek 8000 MTB as I have my eye on doing some off-road (MTB/trail run) duathlons but have also bought some slicks to use on the road (oh yeah, I’ve also bought a camelbak – my first!). I haven’t owned a bike since I was about 12 so I’m pretty excited and admittingly pretty nervous about getting out on the road. The plan initially is to use her twice per week to commute to work on the days I don’t run (once I build up a bit of confidence riding on the (busy) roads around here) combined with a long ride on Saturdays as a compliment to my running. My number 1 prize for 2006 is still a certain race in August and my program to build up to being able to run that distance is pretty heavy so it will be an experiment to see how my body responds to the introduction of the riding. It’s going to be interesting - bring it on!

Oh yeah, and the purchase of the bike is NOT related to the big goal for 2007…Keep those guesses coming people!

Sunday 23 April
LSD run – 50mins!


I joined S today for the last 50mins of her planned 16kms run. A rather fresh morning at the Bay today. Clear but with a cool breeze. Perfect running weather if you ask me. As I waited for S, Silverfox ran past and stopped for a very brief chat. It was lovely to see him again. Anyhoo, yet again this was my longest run – 50mins (7kms) @ 7min pace using S’ 10mins/1min walk regime. Pace felt very slow, perhaps too slow. I don’t think my breathing picked up at any stage but at this stage I suppose I need more time on, and to strengthen, my legs. Nice & easy. Happy days.

I did however brake one of my cardinal rules after the run. I didn’t stretch. Actually I spent about 10mins stretching which is about 20mins less than I would normally do. Opps. Will try & make up for it tonight.

This week – another great week of training: 4 x runs; 1 x weights session with Satan; 1 x yoga; 1 x date with Saint Andrew & 1 x date at Gary’s House of Health & Healing…

The week ahead will be busy thanks to the public holiday (I should have picked up my bike on the weekend so I can use it on Tuesday, bugger…)
Monday – run (20mins)
Tuesday – rest (maybe a walk)
Wednesday – run (37mins) & massage at Gary’s House of Health & Healing
Thursday – Saint Andrew
Friday – run (30mins)
Saturday – weights with Satan
Sunday – run (60mins) & pick up my bike!

Garmin update: my other redhead, the 305 (and the bike sensor) have been shipped today – yippee!!!!

11 comments:

Lulu said...

Nice bike there and what a collection of toys you are going to have!

Hope we can do our run next week. 60 mins sounds good and Ellie is keen to meet up as well.

Your recovery is going very well and long may it continue! I take it Gary told you he wasn't very happy with the house of pain name!

Katie said...

Hahaha Jen there are easier ways to get a smaller wedding than spending all your $$$.... nah spendit, spend it all :-) Very snazzy bike!

Don Juan said...

Big run in august: city to surf in the wedding dress.
You can do it Jen, as long as you find a dress by then. Good luck.

Superflake said...

I'm running C2S in my superheroes outfit. You have to guess?
Well I guess a biathlon could be on with all this swimming and running? I think the last time you had a bike it had two extra small wheels at the back!

2P said...

Woohoo Jen, red bikes rule!!!

Nice run too by the sound of it... now all you need is some black lycra ;-)

Hilda said...

I just got one this week too!!

Lovely to enjoy life like this!

Dave said...

Red bikes go faster, it is a scientific fact!

Should be good for some low impact cross training.

I reckon I know what the secret goal is, to do that rogaine that you guys promised to do a while ago :)

Tesso said...

Seems red is the new black this season. Very nice!

Horrie said...

Seeing that your August goal is Willy 2 Billy. A sub 4:30 there gets you a qualifier for 6 Foot Track in 2007. Methinks that is what you are aiming for. Good luck with it. Nice bike BTW!

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen, spend longer than you think necessary riding the bike off-road and on back streets before you start heading for work. It can get pretty ugly out there (but it's great cross-training for essentially no time cost because these days a bike is as fast as a car in traffic). Enjoy!

Gnome

strewth said...

Wow, how cool! Great bike - enjoy your riding AND your garmin arriving soon. How exciting.