Sunday 2 April - finally.... on a trail again!
Run: 30mins
I think I was born to run on trails. Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it.
Once most of the Ironman field had passed through transition after the swim leg, Lulu, the Owl & I set out to run a small trail/boardwalk path along a canal in Port Macquarie that Minersrun had pointed out to us the day before.
I have to admit that I was a bit nervous before this run because I had run on nothing but dead flat surfaces since my comeback so I wasn't sure how TPC (or any other body part) would respond. I'm absolutely estatic to say that TPC was v. happy to be back on a trail again. It was largely flat with a few small 'rises'. They were really speed humps in the scheme of things but for me, to be able to run (a) on a trail again and (b) up and down these "rises" without a problem was simply the best! Any rumours to the effect that I was running along singing "I'm running on a trail, I'm running on a trail" are denied ;-)
Ended up doing 30mins (my longest run so far!) before the Owl & I found a patch of grass to stretch on while we waited for Lulu to return from her run (she did an extra 20mins). This was also the first time that the 3 of us had run together - not to mention the fact that it was the longest run for each of us - since our various injuries & illnesses; it was wonderful to run with the gals again. Look out - the girls are back. Happy days :-)
Monday 3 April - a date with a Saint
Rest day
Had an appointment with Saint Andrew at 8.15am to go through my x-rays and the results of the various tests. Made for v. interesting reading. I won't go through all the details for fear of attracting blog-porn but will say that I've got a few issues with my lower back & pelvis which no doubt contributed to (and perhaps caused) my problems with TPC. I've got some work to do but it's nice to finally get to the bottom (no pun intended) of the problem.
Too stuffed after our weekend in Port Macquarie to do anything else but lay on the loungeroom floor doing stretches in front of the TV.
Tuesday 4 April - running again!
Run: 20mins
20mins around the oval today. Legs felt heavy & dead to start with but I was able to pick up the pace in the second half. A very satisfying run.
Wednesday 5 April - a date with Satan
30mins weights
As you may remember, I had set myself the goal of returning to spin class on April 19 - 2 weeks away - but you wouldn't guess it: 2 weeks away from returning to spin classes after 6+ months off, I discovered today that my gym has decided to dump spin classes. Grrrrrr. I have been thinking about buying a bike for a while now. Looks like I will have to now. Grrrr.
Saw Satan tonight for a lower body and core/abs session (30mins). Very tough. I haven't done much core work in the last week and I really noticed it.
Thursday 6 April - should have stayed in bed....
Rest day
I had planned a run this morning. Instead it became a rest day when:
(a) I got up, after hitting snooze several times; got changed into my running gear only to discover that the pilot light in the hot water system had gone out in the high winds Sydney experienced overnight so there was no hot water (on Sydney's first cool morning this autumn). Now the idea of a cold shower was bad enough - there was no way on earth I was going to wash my hair in cold water. So I took off my shoes and climbed back into bed.
(b) I should have stayed in bed. I left my backpack on the bus. I think pretty good evidence of the fact that I am a runner was my first thought was "OMG, my orthotics are in there! I can't run until I get it back". LOL.
Thankfully I was able to pick up my bag after work. Also saw Saint Andrew this evening. For a rest day, it was pretty eventful.
Friday 7 April - another run!
Run: 25mins
Sunday's run gave me a lot of confidence so after Tuesday's flat run, I decided it was time to again test myself over a slightly rolling course. Almost 15mins along a road with a few slight rises before heading home via a flat road. TPC was a little bit funky today - it felt like it wasn't tracking properly but not in the way I had problems with her last year. Lots of stretches and ice afterwards.
Saturday 8 April - a dangerous combination: a hangover, dehydration & Satan...
30mins weights
TPC (& the rest of me) pulled up very well after yesterday's run - woohoo!!
Arrived at the gym today with a slight hangover after a rather big night. As always, a tough session, which was not helped by my 'state'. An upper body session consisting of:
* assisted chin-ups
* prone hold with toes on a ball*
* reverse bentover flyes
* single arm shoulder press standing on the opposite leg
* crunches,
repeated 3 times. Nasty.
* BTW, with thanks to RW, this is the exercise I described as a prone hold with toes on a swiss ball - except that Satan makes me hang out in the position for 2+mins! (yikes!)

Sunday 9 April - a return to the Bay...
Geez, this has been a long post. Sorry.
My thoughts this weekend have been with so many of friends competing in various events in Canberra. This is the second year I've missed Canberra - this time last year I was in South America (Santiago, Chile to be precise) and this year I had a close friend's wedding to attend last night & a bridesmaid's dress shopping expedition today!
For a change of scenery, I headed over to the Bay this morning for my long run. The last time I ran at the Bay was not a happy affair. It was the v. last run I did before hanging up my (then) Brooks for 4 months. I literally hobbled to the 2kms mark (stopping several times to stretch) before turning around & walking back to the car. Thankfully today's run was a little less painful!
Ended up running for 37mins with 2 stops - once to stretch my calves & shins which protested for the first half of the run and again to loosen my shoelaces - my (new) longest run since my comeback! Woohoo! A beautiful morning at the Bay though not particularly scenic ;-) It seems my cardio fitness is well ahead of my (running) leg strength at the moment. My legs felt dead the whole way but it wasn't until the last 10mins that my cardio-system felt like it started to work - but those last 10mins were tough. Thankfully there was no sign of the tracking problem from Friday. Really pleased with my run but v. happy to finish :-)
Even with a couple of hours on my feet today whilst bridesmaid dress shopping, my legs are feeling a little tired but not too badly beaten up. I am one happy chicky right now :-)
The week ahead - another v. busy week!
Monday: 20min run & sessions with Satan and Saint Andrew
Tuesday: walk + Rolling Stones concert!
Wednesday: 30min run + massage
Thursday: rest & session with Saint Andrew
Friday: 25mins run
Saturday: rest
Sunday: 40min run
4 comments:
Wooohoo Jen - you are back!
Great stuff mate ;-)
Hey Jen - what a week hey? despite obstacles (backpack loss etc) it sounds like a big win in the running stakes! congrats!!
Great workouts! Another busy week on tap - have fun at the Stones concert!!
I don't know how to tell you how happy I am that you're back after all this time Jen.
But hey....just in time for the running season!
Coincidence....I think not!!!
Post a Comment