Wednesday, August 16, 2006

This too shall pass

I had an acupuncture appointment this morning but cancelled it. I was feeling pretty fragile (emotionally) after a door finally & officially closed on one part of my life this morning so I decided the last thing I needed was some dude sticking needles into me. I know that with one door closing, I should be looking forward to the day that another one opens but I'm not there yet. I'm just feeling sad today.

**********

This morning (Wednesday) I headed out for a run a bit later than normal - it's soooo nice to run during daylight hours again. I haven't run on the road for a few weeks so I decided to get back out there. Started with 10mins on the grass at the oval to warm my legs up before heading out for a 25mins loop on the streets around the 'hood before finishing with another 5mins on the grass at the oval. I felt very unfit during the run & couldn't help but think that I shouldn't have lost so much fitness after 2 easy weeks - but then I checked my splits. Unfortunately my legs are feeling pretty beaten up tonight so it will be back to the oval on Friday morning. Finished with 6.75kms in 40:07mins (aver 5:56mins/kms).

MTD: 36.32kms

After work tonight I met Lulu at the gym for a GRC Pilates class. Afterwards we were joined by Owly and Mr Lulu for a lovely dinner at a Japanese restaurant in Surry Hills. A lovely way to end what was a pretty rough day for me. Thanks guys :-)

**********

I've been thinking about my training in the last few days. The traditional approach to training (ie pick an event & train for it) doesn't seem to work from me. My strike rate is 0 for 2. Not good. Given that there are very few events coming up over the next few months which appeal to me, I thought I'd turn my approach to training around. Write a program designed to slowly build up my mileage again whilst keeping my legs happy and then see what events come up along the way.

So I've written a very sensible program for the next 10 weeks. It's so sensible it's boring. Starting with a long run of 14kms this weekend, I'm only increasing my mileage every 2nd week (and the increase is limited to 10%) & then having an easy/recovery week every 3rd week. Once this "phase" is done, I'm going to keep my LSD run where it will then be (20kms) & replace one of my midweek runs with a session at RunClub so that I'm not increasing mileage & introducing interval stuff at the same time. Told you it was boringly sensible. Pfitzinger would be proud.

And if that doesn't work, I'm hanging up my Brooks & taking up origami.

11 comments:

Tesso said...

Sounds like a smart approach to training Jen. Most pgms are kinda "boring", if they weren't we'd be injured all the time. But throwing in stuff like RunClub will add a bit of fun.

Lulu said...

I'm sure it will pay off and don't forget you'll be attacking the bridge run with me!

miners said...

10%? what's this 10% thingy? Maybe we should consult with O Runner to see what it means ...

Rachel said...

Sounds like my kind of plan! Sensible with an easy build up, no pressure. I like it :)

CJ said...

Join the club - I'm feeling a bit fragile at the moment too. It will pass I keep telling myself.
You asked whether I would be running in Sydney in September (marathon etc) - I've decided not to this year. Too much on my plate lately and i'm feeling really stretched. I'll miss not seeing everyone - that was the highlight last year (and the cheer squad!)

Dave said...

10% sounds good Jen! I'll have to sit down with Miners one day and mathematically prove that I am still including a 10% figure somewhere in my training plans, it might cummulative on a daily basis though :)

A great idea to aim for consistency Jen, I've tilted at a few too many windmills and now am content juts to build up, well ok and race a little as well ;)

Don Juan said...

I like the journey approach to running; don't worry about the destinations, they'll come when you're ready.

TA and the Gnome said...

Sounds like a really wise plan to me (matter of fact, I might just steal it...)

Gnome

strewth said...

Your new training program sounds good Jen. Keep smiling. I'm sending positive vibes and a big hug your way. I do hope that new door opens for you soon!

Cirque said...

Nothing wrong with being boring now and again when it come to training. Problem children like that sort of thing.

Anyway, pet...don't forget the door to the PG is always open for you....

owen said...

Sounds like a good plan kinder! I'm sure the sensibleness will pay off!