Thursday, August 25, 2005

It's all worth it...

I struggled to get my butt out of bed this morning but eventually I did and set out for an easy 20min run around the streets near home. Only my second run on the road (as opposed to softer surfaces like the treadmill and trails) in months and I'm happy to report that once I warmed up, my shins were fine. However I did develop a niggle in my RH knee....Grrrr.... The afternoon of C2S and briefly on the following day, I had a sharp niggle in my RH knee only when walking down stairs. It went away and I thought nothing more of it. Until this morning. So as a zen-like person, I took myself immediately off to see my physio (unfortunately I couldn't get out to see the witchdoctor) who poked around and declared the dreaded letters "ITB". Grrrr. So it's back to the heat packs, stretches, exercises for my lazy glutes and (the worst part) no running for a week. Grrrr. I was so looking forward to running on Sunday.... Half of my brain is telling me to run anyway but the other sensible/conservative/boring side is, of course, telling me not to....

Had I written this earlier today, it would have become a vent about the crappy day I had - just one of those days where everything that could go wrong, did (my ITB issue is just one in a long list of crappiness about today)....but I'm not going to vent. I was sitting here tonight watching Lost with ice on my shins (standard protocol now) and a heat pack on my ITB. But I can honestly say that today I have not for a second thought to myself "Is it all worth it ?" All the heat packs, ice treatments, physio and witchdoctor visits, stretches and strengthening exercises will be worth it if even only once more in my lifetime I experience something similiar to my post-C2S glow. And I know I will have many more experiences like that - so it is all worth it!

2 comments:

CJ said...

It is worth it Jen - just hang in there and it does get better. When I first started running I was always injued or recovering from injuries. I'm getting better and now its usually my stupidity when I get injured these days. Take care of the ITB - they can be troublesome. By the way, I love the sound of the Lindt cafe - its my kind of cafe! Just remember, you will have lots more great running experiences - and isn't that such a great feeling to hang on to!!!!!

miners said...

Certainly is worth it miss jen. Glad you can still bask in some of the post-C2S afterglow. There'll be plenty more of that in the future.

Don't be too disparaged by the ITB comment. I've heard it bandied around so much that it seems to be a buzz-word of the medical profession. CJ's right - treat it seriously, but remember that it could just be one of those niggles that us old-folk get.