Monday, August 29, 2005

Operation 21/31 commences...

Walking into work this morning proved to be a logistical nightmare so instead I caught the bus and took extra stuff (suits/shoes etc) into the office so I can walk into work tomorrow without carrying half my wardrobe.

Again no niggles from the ITB today. I went to bed last night wrapped in volarin and glad wrap just in case (such a sexy look…not!) and have done lots of stretches throughout the course of the day.

Headed off to see Satan at 2pm for an upper body session. On Saturday night, I think I slept on my dodgy shoulder the wrong way and it was sore all day yesterday. However it felt much better this morning and wasn’t a problem during this session. T’was a circuit of:
* assisted chin ups
* push ups
* rotator cuff moves
* a new killer ab move
* bicep curls
* dumbbell reverse flyes,
repeated twice. A tough session but I felt strong – better than I have recently.

Since C2S the idea of doing a Half has been, in my own mind, a much more achievable goal. Cirque said to me last night that it is my mind (and not my body) that is holding me back. She’s right (thank you C). The number of times I’ve caught myself today thinking “I can’t” is amazing – I never realised until today just how many self-limiting and negative thoughts I have about running (probably) on a daily basis. Stoopid really – I’m fit and strong thanks to all the cross training that I’ve done and even with the lack of mileage, at C2S I ran 14kms reasonably comfortably. So today I’ve set myself a goal – called “Operation 21 by 31” – being 21(.2)kms by my *gulp* 31st birthday. That gives me 5 ½ months to build up slowly to a Half. As it seems that I tend to work better under the “program, what program?” approach, I’m not setting a goal race just yet but it is likely to be either the Central Coast Half in December or one of the SMC races. So stay tuned – I’m on my way…

5 comments:

silverfox said...

Jen

Good on you for setting this goal! I agree we are only limited by our own perceptions of what we are capable of. As far as halfs go I recommend both. The cc half is a very flat course right on the lakes edge (as pancake as pancake can get!). The only downer is the course is run primarily on concrete paths which is pretty hard on the legs. The SMC is a little 'bumpier' but is no comparison to say the c2s course. And the views of Smithfield... breathtaking!

Both excellent runs. Keep us posted re progress.

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen,

Fantastic! From the depths of my *vast* experience, you'll love it. This is such a cool goal you've set (I know - you said it isn't a goal yet, but it's already too late to back out :-)

sfG

p.s. ask me again in a few weeks when my experience base will have *doubled* :-) :-)

miners said...

Jen - great goal, and while you haven't set yourself a target race as yet, it's probably a good idea to give the Central Coast Half a miss. Even I don't particularly want to run that one as it's taken over concrete bikepaths for almost the entire distance - I don't like concrete, so I'm sure your shins wouldn't much either.

I thought there may have been a Half Marathon in Canberra early in the new year?

Dave said...

Well done Jen!

I agree with Cirque, have been thinking a while the same thing just not sure how to say it :)

While you don't need to adopt the "break or break through" motto fully, maybe "no pain no gain" is something to think about.

I do think you may need a program of some sort to try and get that focus, otherwise it may be too easy to let things slip, well that is what always seems to happen to me.

Bennyr said...

Operation 21/31 is an excellent idea, Jen.

I'm also really glad your ITB is behaving. As ridiculous as it looks, the Voltaren/glad wrap combo is a winner.