Saw the physio at lunch today. After a couple of exercises and tests, I was honourably discharged, yippee !! For my first run to test out the hip, he wants me to run 3kms at a slow pace on a soft surface. He suggested that I not increase my distance by more than 1km per week – however this approach will play havoc with my plans, at least for the next 2 months. Obi has suggested another plan which should have me back to running for an hour within 5 weeks. While I will listen to my body, this plan (obviously) is a little more favourable. I will however resist the temptation to do too much too soon; it has been over 2 months now since I trained consistently so I must, and will, be careful and listen to my body.
I actually resisted the urge to head out for a run tonight and instead headed to the gym to do my strengthening exercises – which are largely for my ‘lazy’ glutes (which has at least in part contributed to the problems I’ve had recently with my ITB and hip) and hopelessly weak and inflexible calves. Returning to spin class next week will also help my lazy glutes pull their weight (quite literally)! My glutes were so sore and tired tonight that I had trouble walking properly. Love it.
Plan for the rest of the week (subject to how my hip holds up):
Wednesday 18 May
3km run + Satan
Thursday 19 May
Massage
Friday 20 May
Rest
Saturday 21 May
Run – 40mins (not sure about this just yet – might make it 30mins instead)
Sunday 22 May
Walk – 1 hour + being inspired at SMH Half
Ordered Paula Radcliffe’s book today from B&N. Should be here within 3 weeks. Looking forward to reading it. My first running-related book – I think this means I’m officially hooked :-)
2 comments:
Sat 21 May - NOT 40 minutes, 20-30 sounds a lot better, remember the pain in not running for so long, a week or 2 of very easy is better than nothing, then work on the 10% rule.
1km extra a week sounds very much ove the top.
All the best in a slow recovery.
What Stu said....
Post a Comment