My holiday was fabulous. I can’t begin to describe it without going on for pages and pages but I will put a few photos over the new few days. Here's a couple to start with:

On Easter Island

At a very high place somewhere in Peru...
As for running, as expected I didn’t feel particularly secure running by myself in most of the places we visited in (mainland) South America – and we were at altitude for most of the trip which made even walking up hills taxing. I planned – and managed – to run 3 times during the trip each for 30mins (she says trying to ignore the fact it was 3 times in 5 weeks !!). I ran on the treadmill in my hotel in Tahiti and then on the road on Rapa Nui/Easter Island and again in Dublin. I also trekked for 4 days and 45kms to Machu Picchu in Peru – ok, so it didn’t involve running but it was one of the most physically difficult and rewarding experiences of my life:

Taking a well deserved break !
Anyway enough of the past and on with the present. To steal Marty’s description, I am now a “big lardy lardy arse”. Minimal running combined with complete and extreme over-indulgence for 5 weeks has, lets just say, given the scales a rather large nudge in an upwards direction. Surprisingly, I don’t give a shite. I had a fabulous time !!!
I ran on Thursday (5 May) in cold Dublin for 30mins and was very surprised with my fitness levels, notwithstanding the fact that it had been almost 4 weeks since I last ran and the fact that I’m carrying a little extra weight. Towards the end of it one of my shins started to make itself known – but it’s my own fault. I must confess that I left “Zen Jen” at home in Sydney and I did none of my exercises/stretches while I was away. Opps. Will remedy that immediately.
As for my upcoming plans, my almost-sadistic running adviser suggested I run (and make my debut) at the SMC 5km next Sunday (15th). Whilst not the best preparation, I’m up for it. I was planning on running tomorrow (Sunday 8th) but I seem to have developed this inner ear ‘thing’ on the flight from Dublin so I will wait until tomorrow morning to see if, and by how much, the room is still spinning. I hope it stops spinning quickly – this break has been fantastic but now I’m more than ready to get back into !
1 comment:
Jen_runs, this is the post that needs fixing. Once you have posted a photo using Hello, you can use the URL of the photo to put it in another post (like this one)!
You can then delete the post where the photo was originally but the photo is still on the blogger servers so you can use it's URL.
Post a Comment