Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Day 16 - return to Satan

Geez, I am soooo looking forward to having next week off work. Work has been really crazy the last few weeks. If only more of my client's had taken time off over Christmas !

Activity: weights with Satan
Time: 2pm
Duration: 30mins
Mood/energy: blahish
ITB: fine

Another one of those days. I left my shoes in my office today - which I only discovered when I arrived at the gym so I had to power walk back to the office to pick them up. Just scrapped into my session with Satan (sans warm-up) on time.

Satan was back from her holidays and ready to inflict more torture on me. I felt really flat and weak today - no doubt due to my diet being a little, um, lacking in some respects (like fruit, vegetables & water) and a little over-represented in others (like chocolate, brie & red wine....) - but the numbers from the session (weight & reps) didn't reflect that .

So today's fun consisted of an upper body circuit of:
* half chin-up thingys on the smith machine;
* dumbbell shoulder press while standing on disks;
* dumbbell reverse flyes;
* prone hold with shoelaces on a swiss ball,
repeated three times followed by some stretches. My arms are tired; I hope she doesn't have more upper body stuff planned for tomorrow.

I must admit that I'm feeling a bit nervous at the moment I think because I know that I'm close to kicking off my 'return to running' program. I guess that my ITB & I have been having this tug-of-war since August last year and after 8 weeks off running, I suppose I'm scared that it hasn't improved and/or of a relapse. Perhaps an irrational/stoopid fear but in a way, a good one to have because I know that I won't do too much too soon; if anything I'll probably be over-cautious but that is better than the alternative I suppose. Alright, enough rambling. Off to do 30mins of stretching..

5 comments:

Cirque said...

Don't be scared, pet. Trust yourself and your experts to tell you when it is safe to try again. My fingers, toes and ITBs are crossed for you!

CJ said...

Chocolate, brie, red wine - sounds like the perfect diet to me!!!

Will also keep my fingers crossed for you re running.

Hilda said...

Over represented! Funny way to say it, but not when working out with a lack of energy.

Well I think the thing that is about to concern is when will this happen. I hope this is soon, but they are the ones that know the answer.
Soon, soon, soon!!

Bennyr said...

Mmmmm, cheese...

You are right to be cautious about your recalcitrant ITB, Jen. I found it particularly punishing of any overdoing it in the early stages of recovery.

Good cop, bad cop is a good approach: You be really nice to it's face and get a masseur to bash the crap out of it while it isn't looking.

Cheers,
Ben

Katie said...

Haha I know that fear! I am still super tuned to my ITB... I bet I could sense a hair move! If you ease in nice and slowly with lots of stretching you will be fine. Just listen to your team of experts :-)

I also have crossed evrything.... a bit hard to type now :-)