Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I'm BACK !

I'm bbbbaaaaccckkk. Ok, so I didn't go anyway but I have been feeling rather blah, exhausted & unmotivated lately and couldn't be bothered updating my blog with what little exercise I have done and/or news that I have. However after a couple of days of re-energising myself at home - including reading John Maclean's amazing story - I think I've found my mojo again :-)

So a quick recap -

On Tuesday morning, I went for a swim. It was crap. I have quite simply never felt so bad in the water. Slow. Unfit. Weak. Un-co. Like I'd forgotten how to swim. Very strange. I struggled for one very long and slow km before giving up. I don't know what happened there. It was pathetic...

MTD: 12.65kms

On Wednesday, I had a date with Satan at lunch time which I had to cancel. My office closed that day so I spent 12 hours packing files and moving lots of heavy boxes. A sad day. One day closes, another opens on Monday I suppose. Wednesday night, a few friends and I went to a fab italian place in Sydney for pizza, red wine and dessert which was a wonderful way to end a terribly crappy day.

Thursday - Australia Day - became a rest day. I woke up feeling very shattered (due to the events of the last few days, not the wine on Wednesday night) but somehow managed to clean the entire house, sort through my desk at home (which still had uni stuff in it from 2003!) and watch 2 episodes of Lost all before midday! The afternoon was spent at what Mr Jen & I called a "Kenyan cook-up". Gotta love multi-cultural Australia. The cutest - and funniest - moment of the afternoon was when a 4 year old girl from Kenya was comparing the colour of the skin on the inside of her arm with mine. She is as dark as I am fair (and I'm really fair) which she thought was quite simply hiliarious !

Today - Friday - is of course a day off because I don't have a job to go to until Monday! LOL. I realised last night that today marks 12 weeks to the day since I abandoned my training for the Central Coast Half back in November. I can't believe it has been that long. So I decided to go for a little run - it was very little but a run nonetheless.

Following the advice of the very wise friend, I did a 15mins walk warm-up followed by 30sec run/30sec walk intervals repeated 5 times on a very lush and soft oval here home. The "run" part was more like a "jog" but it was better than nothing I suppose, then it was another 15mins walk/cool-down home. My knee felt really good thoughout the entire 35min session and feels good even now, hours later. With fingers crossed, I'll swim tomorrow (hopefully better than Tuesday's effort) and do another longer session on Sunday.

11 comments:

Cirque said...

Welcome back Jen, and welcome back Jen's mojo. I'm glad you're out of your holding pattern, now don't ever scare us like that again!!!

And another nag...I'm really glad you managed a run today with no pain but please promise us that you'll be really careful from here on in, no matter how frustrated you get?

Clairie said...

Back and as they say...better than before!

Take it easy. Enjoy the time on your legs and dont push for too much too soon.

Best of luck for that new place of work on Monday. I hope it all works out to be a really big corner you have turned. In work and sports and life in general.

Good on you for keeping the chin up Jen :)

Horrie said...

Great to see you running again Jen. Yes, it was a run no matter how slow. The important thing is to listen to your body and run mostly on grass as often as you can. Good luck with the new job on Monday.

CJ said...

Welcome back Jen. You're allowed to have crappy weeks or even months - we all have themat some stage. Anyway glad to hear you've found your mojo.

Your little run sounds very promising but take it very very carefully. Frustrating as it is, it does sound like it might just be on the mend now *fingers crossed*

Hilda said...

Good to have you back, I missed you!!
My best speed is jogging, so the main part is that you did it!!
Even greatest is to know the knee is ok, hope it continues like that, keep up the run with that good advise.

Katie said...

*** Loud applause***

Welcome back my dear!! I was only thinking about you yesterday! You had until Monday and I was going to give you a buzz... with the where are you plea.

I am glad your feeling happier! I will see you in a few weeks... very exciting!

2P said...

Welcome back Miss Muffet - blogland is all the brighter for your presence :-)

Don Juan said...

Great to have you back, running and blogging. keep us updated on the comeback.

Packing boxes could be good therapy too. Don't do it at home though or you'll alarm Mr Jen.

miners said...

knew we wouldn't lose you for too long - and you're running as well!!!

All the best for a BIG Monday pussy cat

Aki said...

Yay, that little run sounded good. Must be contagious, this low motivation, sluggishness thingy. :(

Unknown said...

Yeay! Go Jen_runs! *big hug*